Listen to this article
Summer is here and to add sweetness to this scorching heat, we have our beloved mangoes. The flavorful, juicy and dynamic fruit is known for adding that extra punch to a number of summer delicacies. Also known as the king of fruits, mangoes are loved by all generations and are an instant hit when it comes to smoothies or traditional chutneys.
An ingredient that goes well with mangoes is walnut. Known for its nutritional and health benefits, walnuts are the go-to-nut for any drink, snack, main course or dessert. An extremely versatile ingredient, walnuts blend perfectly with mangoes, making any delicacy an instant favorite.
While all of us know the old school recipe of aamras, this summer try out these off-beat walnut inspired mango recipes that are sure to leave everyone around you bedazzled!
1. In a blender, churn together mango puree, walnut milk, sugar, ice cubes, curd and mango ice-cream till it is smooth. Reserve till further use.
2. Take a few tall glasses and add a tablespoon each of strawberry crush at the base. Top it with the chilled smoothie.
3. Finally top with fresh diced mangoes and serve it chilled.
1. Place the mango, turmeric, banana and coconut milk into a blender and blitz until smooth. Add lime juice to taste and blend again until combined.
2. Pour the smoothie into a bowl and garnish with the reserved mango, berries, walnuts, passion fruit, lime zest and coconut flakes.
For the falafel:
For the pickles:
1. Soak all peas overnight in cold water.
2. For the falafel, peel and chop the onions and garlic. Rinse chili pepper and chop finely. Rinse the coriander, separate the leaves and chop finely. Drain the peas and then purée with the onions, chili pepper, garlic and turmeric in a blender. Season the mix with salt and stir in baking soda. Chop walnuts and roast them briefly. Then mix walnuts and flour with the peas to form balls from the dough. Heat the frying oil to 160°C and fry the balls for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Let them dry on paper towels.
3. For the pickles, peel the mango, remove the pulp from the stone and cut into dices. Wash the chili pepper and chop finely. Heat oil and sauté the chili pepper briefly. Add turmeric and mango, then sprinkle with sugar and let it stew for about 1-2 minutes. Add vinegar and raise heat for a minute.
4. Chop walnuts, toast them in a small pan and mix them with the pickles. Serve the falafel with the mango pickle.
So try these delicious and healthy recipes from the comfort of your home and relish the mango season!