It’s not just pregnancy, even the constant tightening and loosening of skin is one of the biggest causes of stretch marks. Now, we are big advocates of body positivity, but there’s really no harm finding solutions to deal with them. Yes, we are talking about home remedies for stretch marks.
It is possible to get rid of them by following some simple DIY hacks. But before that, aren’t you curious to know why stretch marks happen? Let’s ask Dr Nivedita Dadu, a renowned dermatologist, and founder-chairman, Dr Nivedita Dadu’s Dermatology Clinic.
Basically, stretch marks are indented streaks that often appear on the abdomen, breasts, hips, buttocks, and thighs. There are several reasons why these marks occur — it could be due to puberty, sudden weight gain, physical activities, and much more. Stretch marks are caused, as the name says, due to stretching of the skin. Their severity is dependent on several factors, including the genetic tendency, degree of stress on the skin, and cortisone levels.
“Cortisone, a hormone produced by the adrenal glands weakens elastic fibres in the skin. Many women experience stretch marks during pregnancy, as the skin stretches in numerous ways to make room for the developing baby. This continual tugging and stretching can cause stretch marks. Stretch marks sometimes appear, when somebody rapidly gains or loses weight,” explains Dr Dadu.
He adds, “Stretch marks happen when your body grows quickly for any reason. Your skin can’t stretch enough to compensate. Collagen is a protein that makes your skin more elastic. If your skin doesn’t have enough collagen, the marks may show up, as it stretches.”
Aloe vera is a magical plant that is primarily known for its incredible healing properties. It helps to regenerate skin tissues that help to heal the scars completely. You can take a fresh gel from a leaf, and massage it onto the affected area for a good 15-20 mins. Repeat the same process twice a day for better results.
Vitamin C is really helpful, when it comes to treating stretch marks, as it helps to boost collagen. Collagen plays an important role in keeping the skin tight and elastic. Fruits that are rich in vitamin C, such as oranges, should be consumed regularly.
Tea tree oil is the best remedy to remove any kind of scars, and it helps to treat stretch marks as well. Its anti-inflammatory and healing properties work wonderfully well to fade stretch marks to a great extent.
Certainly, olive oil is one of the best and easily available products that can be used to remove stretch marks. Olive oil is rich in vitamin E, and this skin-nourishing agent helps to fade away the scars easily.
Also, if you have developed stretch marks post-pregnancy, we do have some ways to tackle the problem!
1. Glycolic acid-based creams and gels are considered useful for the treatment of stretch marks. These products can be used after consulting doctors and dermatologists. Glycolic acid can be applied over the area to peel away the top layer of the skin, making it more beautiful.
2. Exercises such as swimming, walking, running, weight training, yoga, and pilates can be considered effective to repair stretch marks after pregnancy. Even light exercises, such as walking and yoga, can strengthen the muscles of your hips, thighs, and belly. Strengthening those muscles helps to tighten loose skin, and promotes faster healing.
3. Keep your skin moisturized. Moisture is one of the most important components of a healthy skin care routine. It keeps your skin smooth and bright, helps to maintain the skin’s outermost protective layer, and preserves skin elasticity. It also helps to heal stretch marks.
“Some moisturizers contain ingredients that may find their way into your breast milk. The effect of these ingredients on newborns is unknown, so try to avoid using these skin care products altogether. Avoid retinol and products with retinol, retinol-A, or some other variant of this compound. Parabens are also unsafe. Always try to choose skin care products made from natural ingredients,” recommends Dr Dadu.
4. Massaging the skin of your hips, belly, and bust is one of the best ways to treat stretch marks after pregnancy. A gentle massage increases blood flow and improves probability of further formation of stretch marks.
5. Keep your skin hydrated by drinking plenty of water. When skin cells receive an ample supply of water, they’re able to function properly and repair themselves more efficiently, thereby promoting faster healing to recover from pregnancy stretch marks. Drink at least eight glasses of water every day to keep your skin cells healthy and hydrated.
So ladies, no more shying away because of your stretch marks, because now you have got the best way to get rid of them, and that too naturally.