The boat pose can rock your weight loss regimen by granting you a lean bodyUpdated on: 13 August 2020, 11:10 am IST
When it comes to weight loss, we tend to start your regimen in full swing. But once you reach your target weight, ensuring that it stays like that can be quite a task. Which is where yoga for weight loss makes its glorious entry!
Yoga encapsulates a number of weight loss asanas, and the best part is that they all are holistic in nature. One such pose is boat pose or naukasana. According to a study published in the journal of PLOS ONE, hatha yoga, which also includes this pose, is known to shed weight in just a span of 12 weeks by increasing your metabolic rate. Plus it also works on your core area.
Boat pose is a full-body workout
Weak muscles and muscle stiffness is becoming part and parcel of life. But it can also become a hindrance in your weight loss regime. But the boat pose works on each and every muscle, starting right from your neck, spine, core, glutes, to your hamstrings.
Plus, it can help in gaining muscle endurance and build flexibility as claimed in a study published in the journal Evidence-Based Alternative Medicine.
In simple words, the boat pose burns fat and also makes the muscles tighter, giving you a slender body.
This is how you can do the boat pose at home
Naukasana is not a difficult pose to crack, but holding it can be a challenging art. Let’s learn how to do it.
1. Sit on a mat with your legs stretched out in front of you and your hands on your side.
2. Now bend your knees and raise your legs. Straighten your legs and push your upper body away from your legs.
3. When your thighs and your upper body make a ‘V’, stretch out your arms, and hold the pose for at least 10 breaths.
4. Now slowly move towards the starting position and relax.
Repeat this pose for at least 10 to 15 times for better results. Once you master it, you can increase the number of repetitions and timing for holding the pose.
After a while, you can also try doing a full boat pose where you don’t have to bend your knees and your entire upper and lower body (starting from thighs to toe) will form a ‘V’.
Things you should remember while doing boat pose
This pose can go wrong in many ways so remember these four things:
1. Keep your back straight; it should never be rounded.
2. Look towards your toe finger to keep your neck straight.
3. Engage your core and keep your hands pointing towards your knees and parallel to the ground to hold the pose longer.
4. Don’t hold your breath at any point in time.
So here is all you need to learn about this power yoga move. Now it’s time to begin your weight loss journey with yoga.