In her recent Instagram post, celebrity fitness trainer Yasmin karachiwala suggests certain shoulder exercises to strengthen the shoulder muscles.
Celebrity fitness instructor Yasmin karachiwala is here to explain to you the importance of strengthening your shoulders. Considering the constant high pressure experienced by shoulders, exercising this muscle group should be a top priority. Understanding the criticality of this, Yasmin, recently took to Instagram to say, “Most of us have had one shoulder injury at some point in our lives because we never take the time to strengthen our shoulders, which plays such an important role in our day to day lives.”
She further added, “The most common is Rotator Cuff Injuries – mainly Impingements and Tears. The rotator cuff is a group of four muscles that stabilize the shoulder and allow it to move.”
With respect to post injury recovery, she said, “The best method is the RICE method. Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation immediately after an injury because these work together to reduce the pain and swelling.”
“Today I’m going to show you some simple exercises that you can do everyday to strengthen your shoulders,” said Yasmin.
She suggested 6 exercises for her followers:
1. External Rotation (20 reps)
- Inhale to breathe literally into your lungs, don’t breathe into your stomach.
- Exhale hollow your belly to spine.
- If you don’t have a theraband, use water bottles.
2. Pendulum (10 reps each)
- Circle your arms in one direction for 10 reps and then reverse the circle.
- Let your arm hang loose, support the other hand and circle the arm in one direction for 10 reps and then reverse the circle.
- Now, switch sides.
3. Draw a Sword (5-10 reps)
- Stand on your theraband and hold it with the opposite hand.
- Pull the elbow up and then rotate the arm, unrotated, and take the elbow down.
- Now, switch sides.
4. Prone Lat Pulls (6- 10 reps)
- Light down prone with your arms out in a goal post.
- Lift your head, chest, shoulder, and arms.
- Extend your elbow and then bend and lower down.
- Lift, extend arms, bend, and lower down.
5. Pec Stretch (10-20 seconds hold)
- Stand against a doorway with your arm at 90-degree shoulder down.
- Take a step forward and press into the wall as you push your chest forward and feel that nice stretch.
- Now, switch sides
6. Wall Angels (5-10 reps)
- Stand with your back against the wall making sure the back of your head or shoulders and your glutes touch.
- Shorten your ribs.
- Stand about 1 feet away from the wall.
- Take your arms in a goal post position making sure that you drop your ribs down.
- And then lift as much as you can without losing the connection from your shoulder, elbow, and wrist and go as high as you can.
- Then lower it down all the time mentioning connection.
Yasmin also suggests, “If you have pain please consult your doctor before doing these exercises.” So ladies, get ready to tone your shoulders and enhance your upper body strength!