Pranayama: 3 breathing techniques to calm your mind daily
One of the best ways to control the chatter in your mind and bring your entire body in harmony is by practicing deep breathing techniques. In the world of yoga, breath regulation is known as Pranayama. It is an important component of yoga that results in physical and mental wellness. As per Sanskrit, ‘prana’ means life energy, and ‘Yama’ stands for control. In Pranayama, a person performs breathing techniques in different patterns.
While we commonly know about Anulom Vilom, certified yoga instructor Shynee Narang recently drew people’s attention to the other forms of Pranayama too, through her social media page. According to the expert, these are everyday essential Pranayama techniques and are suitable for all body types.
Practice these breathing techniques to improve your overall well-being
By learning to master the intake and exhaling of breath, you can learn to create harmony inside your body. Some of the essential everyday Pranayama include:
1. Anulom Vilom Pranayama
Anulom Vilom improves patience, control, and focus. It also relieves a person from issues like stress and anxiety.
How to practice Anulom Vilom?
• Use your middle and index fingers of the right hand to fold towards your palm. Put your thumb on the right nostril and place your ring finger on the left nostril.• Close your right nostril with the thumb and inhale through your left nostril, until your lungs are full.
• Next, take back your thumb and close your left nostril using your ring finger.
• Exhale slowly through the right nostril.
• Now practice it in the opposite way, this time using your right nostril to inhale and the left one to exhale.
• Exhaling from the left completes one round.
• Practice as many rounds as possible by trying to keep the duration of inhalation and exhalation equal, if possible.
2. Ujjayi Pranayama
Ujjayi Pranayama calms down the nervous system, and mind and boosts psychic sensitivity. It helps people with insomnia and lowers their heart rate and blood pressure.
Keep an idea of your risk of weight-related issues.Check BMI
How to practice Ujjayi Pranayama?
• Start by closing your mouth to contract the throat (the glottis).
• Start inhaling after exhaling a short breath, slowly insync and one long unbroken inspiration.
• Then, let the air pass through your constricted throat resulting in a friction-like sound.
• Continue inhalation till there is a sense of fullness in your chest.
• Keep the inhaled air within for a few seconds.
• Now exhale naturally slowly, by keeping away from jerky or hasty movements.
3. Bharamri Pranayama
This type of Pranayama helps cure stress, lowers blood pressure, boosts good sleep by releasing cerebral tension, and soothes the nerves.
How to practice Bharamri Pranayama?
• Start by closing your mouth and creating a slight space between your teeth.
• Cover your ear with your thumbs and shut your eyes using your fingers.
• Create a sound that sounds like om while exhaling through the nose which will create a humming sound.
• Repeat this 8-10 times, and rest.
Tips to practice breathing exercises effectively
Follow these simple instructions and tips to make your everyday Pranayama more effective.
• Always opt for a comfortable sitting position (you may place a cushion under your hips if needed).
• Straighten your spine and neck, and keep your eyes shut.
• Relax your face muscles, and keep your nose clean (try Jal neti).
• Stay mindful and clear of all the decluttering that is outside of the moment.
• Inhalations and exhalations should be steady and rhythmic- long, unbroken and without jerks.