5 foods that are more fibrous than apples and are a boon for gut health!
When it comes to foods high on fibre, apples come to the mind instantly. However, eating solely apples to meet daily fibre requirements is not the way to go. Your diet should always have a variety of foods that can provide you with several essential nutrients. Interestingly, there are multiple alternatives that outshine apples when it comes to their fibre content. So, let’s look at some fiber-rich foods.
Health Shots spoke to Divya Gopal, Consultant Dietitian and Nutritionist, Motherhood Hospitals, Banashankari, Bengaluru, to find out some of the best fibre rich foods.
Gopal says, “When we think of fiber-rich foods, apples often come to mind as one of the top choices. While apples are a great source of dietary fiber, several other foods pack even more fiber per serving.”
But before you find out about fibre-rich foods, learn the benefits of fibre.
Why do we need fibre in our daily diet?
From better digestive health to heart health, there are multiple health benefits of fibre:
1. Promote digestive health: Fiber plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy digestive system. It adds bulk to stool, which helps prevent constipation by facilitating regular bowel movements.
2. Helps in weight management: Foods rich in fibre are often low in calories and highly satiating. This means they can help control unwanted hunger pangs, reducing calorie intake and aiding weight management.
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.PERSONALISE NOW
3. Good for heart health: A high-fibre diet can significantly reduce the risk of heart disease. Choose soluble fibre that can help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. This, in turn, reduces the risk of heart disease.
4. Control blood sugar levels: For individuals with diabetes or those at risk of developing it, fiber is a must in their diet. Fiber also slows down the digestion of carbohydrates, preventing rapid spikes in blood sugar levels.
5. Helps you live longer: A diet rich in fiber is associated with a reduced risk of chronic diseases and increased longevity. By promoting overall health and preventing various health issues, fiber contributes to a higher quality of life.
So, now you know why you need fibre in your daily diet. To add variety and get several other essential nutrients along with fibre, make sure you are not sticking to just apples.
Fibre-rich foods other than apple
Typically, 100 grams of apple has 2.4 grams of fibre, as per the US Department of Agriculture. But here are 5 other fibre-rich foods that can help you fulfill your daily requirements!
Add blackberries to your diet to increase your fiber intake. These small, dark berries are not only delicious but also incredibly fiber-rich. One cup serving of blackberries contains approximately 7.6 grams of fiber, nearly double the fiber content of a medium-sized apple.
Raspberries are another berry with impressive fiber content. One cup of raspberries provides about 8 grams of fiber, surpassing an apple’s fiber content. They’re also packed with antioxidants and vitamins, making them nutritious to your diet.
Moving away from fruits, let’s talk about legumes. Lentils are a fantastic source of dietary fiber and protein. A one-cup serving of cooked lentils delivers around 15 grams of fiber, far more than what you’d find in an apple. Lentils are versatile and can be used in soups, stews, salads, and more.
4. Chia Seeds
Chia seeds have gained popularity in recent years for their nutritional benefits, and their fiber content is no exception. Just two tablespoons of chia seeds provide a whopping 10 grams of fiber. When mixed with liquid, chia seeds (recipe of chia seed pudding) form a gel-like consistency, making them a perfect addition to smoothies, yogurt, or as a base for chia pudding.
Among vegetables, artichokes stand out as a fiber powerhouse. One medium-sized cooked artichoke contains approximately 10.3 grams of fiber, surpassing an apple’s fiber content. They are also low in calories and antioxidants, making them a healthy choice for your digestive system.
While apples are undeniably nutritious and offer various health benefits, it’s essential to explore a variety of foods to meet your dietary fiber needs. So, make sure you are also consuming the fibre rich foods mentioned above to increase your daily fibre intake.