Build a rock solid core with these simple standing exercises by Namrata Purohit
Don’t we all want to build a core that’s packed with strength? Hell yes! But are those ab crunches enough, or should we keep doing them all day to see results? And you may also be surprised to know that you need to exercise a variety of muscles, in case you are chasing a strong core. Well, as always, we have a solution for you, and the best part is that these are all simple standing exercises recommended by celebrity Pilates trainer Namrata Purohit that can be performed easily. Ready to get started?
Simple standing exercises for a stronger core
1. Squat twists
* Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
* Lower down into a squat, and make sure your thighs are parallel to the floor.
* As you jump up, twist your body 90 degrees to the right.
* After quickly tapping your feet to the ground, jump again, and rotate back to the centre.
* As you return to the centre, drop back down into a squat and repeat in the opposite direction.
2. Squat bends
* Begin by squatting down as if you’re sitting into a chair.
* Your ankles, knees, and hips will bend in unison, while your spine stays straight.
* As you begin to lower, your knees will travel forward over your toes.
* Your hips will travel backward to keep your centre of gravity over your feet.
* Your feet should remain flat on the ground during the entire movement.
* Make sure your trunk and pelvis stay neutral and aligned as you bend at your hips.
* Push through your feet with your weight centered just in front of your ankles.
* Return to the starting position.
Also Read: Can squats make your butt bigger?
3. Side bends
* Stand tall with feet and legs together and reach both arms straight up overhead as you inhale.
* Lower your right arm down the right side of your body.
* Next, exhale as you lengthen the left arm over the head.
* Bend your body gently to the right.
* Inhale to return arms overhead to the centre, and exhale as you repeat on the left side.
Check out Namrata Purohit’s video on simple standing exercises
Side bends with weights
* Grab a set of dumbbells.
* Stand straight up with one dumbbell in each hand, palms facing in.
* Keep your feet firmly on the floor with a shoulder width stance.
* Keep your back straight and your eyes facing forward, and bend down to the right as far as you can. You can come back up.
* Without pausing at the top, bend down to the left.