These 5 natural face masks will boost collagen and keep your skin young
We all run after exfoliation and moisturisation techniques to get glowing skin. But has it ever occurred to you that what your skin really needs is, perhaps, a boost in its cell regeneration?
Exfoliation and moisturisation can sure help but certain ingredients are needed to help you boost what is known as collagen.
“Collagen is a vital protein that is naturally present in the skin. It is responsible for making the skin supple and soft,” says Dr. B.L Jangid, dermatologist and hair transplant surgeon, SkinQure Clinic, New Delhi.
“It plays a pivotal role in strengthening the skin when it comes to maintaining its elasticity and hydration. Present in the middle layer of your skin (called the dermis), collagen helps form fibroblasts that help to build new cells. It also helps replace dead skin cells,” he adds.
Here are some products that you can try:
Basically, a good collagen production means prevention of premature ageing which helps in keeping fine lines and wrinkles at bay. However, as per Dr. Jangid, collagen production declines with age and with other factors such as sun exposure, smoking, and other lifestyle-related follies.
Needless to say, upping your water intake, eating healthy, exercising regularly, and taking care of your skin can definitely help you maintain or boost your collagen production. However, these DIY face masks recommended by Jangid can further your agenda:
1. Turmeric mask: Turmeric has always played a vital role in our skincare routines. This is simply because it does wonders to the skin and gives you a naturally glowing face and complexion—thanks to the presence of curcumin, a chemical present in turmeric, which improves wound and scar healing by modulating collagen production.
You can mix a pinch of turmeric in milk and honey, apply it on your face, leave it on for 15-20 minutes, rinse it off with water, and witness the magic post following this regime twice a week.
2. Papaya mask: Papaya is highly beneficial for your skin as it helps to smoothen the skin and clear it off acne, scars, and pigments by promoting collagen formation—thanks to the presence of an enzyme called pepzyme in it.
All you need to make a papaya mask is to add 2-3 drops of lemon juice to papaya pulp and mix them well together. Apply the mix on your face and leave it on for 15- 20 minutes on before washing it off with water.
3. Almond and milk pack: Almonds are known to restore the moisture balance of the skin. Therefore, using a milk and almond pack with ground almonds and milk on the face can reduce dryness, making your skin supple, and give you a visibly-brighter face.
4. Honey Mask: Honey is an excellent substance that helps to retain skin moisture without making it oily. Moreover, it is valuable for its cosmetic uses, such as clearing acne, healing scars, and evening out skin tone. Just add some honey and cinnamon, mix them well, heat the mixture in a microwave for 1 minute, apply it on your face, and leave it on for 8-10mintues on your face. Rinse it off completely using warm water and pat your skin dry.
5. Cucumber and avocado mask: Cucumber contains water which means it hydrates the skin, it also contains vitamin C, which helps to reduce breakouts. On the other hand, avocado contains oils, which helps to maintain a balanced texture of the skin and reduces the inflammation too. All you need to do is to take ½ cup of avocado pulp and mix it with cucumber pulp. Apply the mask on your face and leave it on for around 10-15 minutes after which, you can wash your face with lukewarm water.
So, there you go, ladies! Get to protecting to your skin with these natural face masks.