Want to get rid of a cold quickly? Drink tulsi kashayam and reap immense benefitsPosted on:1 July 2021, 14:28pm IST
Blame the change in season, environmental pollution, or bacterial and viral infections, but let’s just say anyone can get a cold and cough. Although the mild common cold is relatively harmless, it does give us a hard time. Cold and cough are probably the most common of all illnesses, and are observed across age groups.
There are hundreds of concoctions available to help with a cough and cold, but we’ve picked the one that you can easily make at home! So ladies, get set to make some tulsi kashayam.
Tulsi aka basil is readily available in the Indian kitchen, and is well-known for its medicinal properties. It is also widely used as a home remedy to treat many illnesses, given that it has multiple benefits for the health. Preparing kashayam with tulsi refers to a water-based solution that can be used for ailments like indigestion, cough and the common cold, etc. It is an ancient form of medicine that has been in use for generations.
Here’s how you can prepare the tulsi kashayam at home to treat cold and cough
1 cup boiled toor dal water
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp whole pepper
A handful of green tulsi leaves
1 tsp ghee
1 tsp honey
- First, pound the cumin seeds and pepper coarsely in a mortar and pestle.
- Heat the pan and add ghee and pounded spices. Fry for a minute on a medium flame and don’t let the spices burn.
- Add one cup of boiled toor dal water and bring to boil.
- Let it boil until its consistency becomes slightly thick.
- Now, add fresh tulsi leaves and switch off the gas immediately.
- Don’t boil after adding tulsi leaves. Strain the mixture.
- Serve it hot for adults and lukewarm for toddlers and kids.
Your tulsi kashayam is ready to serve!
Here’s why you must try this tulsi kashayam:
Tulsi is considered to have healing properties and has been an integral part of the traditional Indian medicine system. That’s because it is a powerhouse of antibacterial, antifungal, antipyretic, antioxidant, and antiseptic properties. Basil leaves are packed with vitamin A, D, iron, and fibres, which help in boosting your immunity and keeping infections at bay.
In fact, if you consume tulsi kashayam on an empty stomach, it can offer a plethora of benefits, including relieving cold and cough effectively. Besides tulsi, adding other ingredients can also do wonders to treat your cold and cough.
- Preparing this decoction of tulsi leaves with cumin seeds is an awesome home remedy for cold and cough. That’s because compounds in cumin seeds help to soothe inflamed muscles and boost immunity to fight infections.
- Black pepper is also enriched with vitamin C, which naturally boosts immunity and works as an excellent antibiotic. And is best known for alleviating chest congestion and unclogging.
- Honey is a time-honoured remedy for sore throat and can help relieve coughs more effectively.
- Lastly, adding ghee helps to tackle a number of ailments like cough and cold, weakness, skin diseases, and pimples. In fact, when applied to the chest, it loosens cough and relieves a sore throat.
So ladies, you can easily treat your cold with this simple tulsi kashayam. Give it a try to get quick and instant relief.