Treat dry and damaged hair to this nourishing DIY coconut milk hair mask
We all want hair that is strong, silky and shiny. In fact, no one desires dry and damaged hair. Unfortunately, our hair doesn’t always cooperate with us. Even a little neglect can lead to frizz, damage and dryness.
If your hair has been in this condition for some time now, it means you need to supply it with moisture and nourishment. Reduced moisture often causes the hair to lose its sheen, making it look frizzy, lifeless, and dull. What’s more, certain hair care practices like frequent washing, using harsh products, going for chemical treatments, and styling your tresses with heat-based equipment like curling rods or straightening irons can contribute to dry hair.
The good news is that you can solve all your hair troubles with ingredients that can be found right at home. To resolve the problem of dry hair, nothing is better than natural remedies. Out of all the gharelu nuskhe, it’s coconut milk that works the best to deeply hydrate your hair and scalp.
Here’s why this homemade hair mask can work wonders for your dry and damaged hair:
- Coconut milk is rich in lauric acid which is able to penetrate the hair shaft.
- The vitamins and minerals present in it help nourish your scalp and hair deeply.
- Coconut milk is also loaded with protein which promotes hair growth and strengthens the roots.
- Due to its moisturising capability and anti-inflammatory effects, it may help with scalp conditions such as dandruff.
- It also improves blood circulation in the scalp.
- The vitamin E present in it protects your hair from free radical damage.
- Calcium, present in coconut milk, is an important mineral when it comes to keeping your hair strong.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make a coconut hair mask:
- 1 coconut
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
Here’s how you can prepare this hair mask:
Although canned coconut milk is available in the market, it is best to opt for homemade coconut milk because it’s natural and fresh.
Step 1: Grate a fresh coconut to extract coconut milk from it.
Step 2: Boil a cup of water and add the grated coconut to the boiled water. Let it soak for 5-10 minutes.
Step 3: Now, squeeze the milk using a muslin cloth into a bowl.
Step 4: Freeze the milk for one night to use it the next day.
Step 5: Add honey and olive oil to the coconut milk. Mix these ingredients together.
Step 6: Let it sit for 5 minutes and then, apply it to your hair.
Here’s how you should apply coconut milk to your hair:
- Steam your hair first. This will help to open up the pores of the scalp and improve the absorption of the hair mask.
- Dip a cotton ball into the coconut milk. Apply the milk all over your scalp using this cotton ball.
- Massage your scalp for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Wait for 30 minutes before washing it off.
- Now, wash your hair using lukewarm water and a mild shampoo.
So, there you go, ladies! Do try this homemade hair mask to hydrate dry and damaged hair.