Keep dryness, dullness and hair breakage at bay with this Ayurvedic oil massage routine
The winter chill entails dry and cold air that affects the hair. This leads to a flaky scalp, brittle and dull-looking hair that lacks luster. To give your hair some much-needed TLC this winter, take out time for a good old Ayurvedic head massage. When done right, a scalp massage enables blood circulation that aids hair growth, and also conditions your tresses.
Why does winter play havoc with hair?
* The dry winter air can sometimes leave your hair dehydrated, making it lose its strength and sheen. Lack of moisture is never good news for your hair as it leads to more hair fall, scaling, and flakiness on the surface of the scalp, paired with split ends.
* The biggest mistake we can make is to use hot water to cleanse our hair. Hot water strips the natural oil of your hair strands making them drier and frizzy. Instead, use tepid water to cleanse your hair.
* The frequent use of blow driers can irritate your scalp and also tends to dry out your ends. Use blow driers for a limited amount of time and end the blow dry with cool air.
* Using a variety of hair styling products and hair colour can dry out your ends. Avoid using hair styling products. Instead use naturally nourishing products that nourish and protect your hair.
What’s the solution for your hair problems?
Pamper yourself with an at-home scalp massage routine using an Ayurvedic oil. Massaging the hair with warm oil infused with the goodness of herbs is one of the best ways to provide nourishment for dry, brittle, frizzy, colour-treated hair that may be prone to split ends. In fact, a hot oil massage can help you replenish hair that may have been left lifeless with the excessive
use of harsh shampoos.
Ayurveda recommends treating the problems from the roots, and a hot oil massage does just that as it reaches the vital points of convergence or Marmas that are located in our heads. Regular scalp massages can boost blood circulation which in turn can aid hair growth.
Now that we may be convinced about the several benefits that a simple oil massage can have for us, let us find out about the best oils we can choose for our hair.
1. Bringadi Intensive Hair Treatment Oil
2. Organic Almond Oil
3. Sesame Oil
4. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
5. Argan Oil
How to oil your hair?
Once you choose the oil you want to use, take out some time from your busy schedules and follow the tips listed below:
You will need 2-3 tablespoons of the oil, a heat-safe bowl (avoid plastic), a large bowl of hot water, a shower cap, shampoo, and a conditioner.
1. Take 2-3 tablespoons or more depending on the length of your hair and heat it using the double boiler method (heating it indirectly).
2. Do a patch test on the wrist before applying it to the hair.
Once the oil is ready, it’s time to do your at-home massage
1. Brush your hair by splitting it vertically down and creating two equal hair sections on the head.
2. Scoop a bit of oil with your fingers and spread it onto your palms. Use it on the scalp and massage it in circular motions. Begin from the top of the hair, and work the way down.
3. Do this section by section, and once done, try to pull the product to the hair ends by using a wide-tooth comb. The hair ends need good moisture so take the oil and massage in the mid-shaft of the hair by dragging fingers to the ends.
The finishing touches
1. After applying oil on your hair, cover your head up with a shower cap as it keeps the hair in place as you wait.
2. Let the oil sit for 30 minutes to repair and hydrate your hair.
3. For better results, wrap the hair in a hot towel for 20 to 30 minutes for better absorption.
4. Now you can hop in the shower and work up some lather using a gentle shampoo.
5. If your hair feels greasy after washing, you can shampoo it for the second time and rinse the oil out thoroughly.
6. You can also apply a good conditioner that leaves the hair feeling healthy, soft, and shiny.
You could do this hot oil treatment between 1-3 times a week according to your schedule and your hair type!
For investing in the right products that can help you sail through this hair oiling experience, laced with the goodness of Ayurveda, click here!
(Disclaimer: This article has been written in conjunction with Kama Ayurveda)