If you are a health fanatic, hot lemon water with a dash of honey would be a staple every morning. Yes, that’s how most of us kickstart our day! That’s because, for the longest time, we’ve been told that this drink can detoxify the body like no other. There are some who also sip on it, after every meal. But did you know your habit can cause damage to your teeth? No, we aren’t kidding.
But before we get to that, let us find out a little about why lemon water can be beneficial for you.
* The laxative property in it can improve digestion, leading to better bowel movements and clearing your body of toxins.
* Vitamin C in lemon water gives your immunity a boost since it is high on antioxidants. This makes your immune system stronger against diseases.
* The antioxidant properties also make lemon water a win-win for your skin as it will keep you hydrated and keep you away from toxins.
* It is believed to be one of the things you can do to promote weight loss.
Dr Mohender Narula, dental expert and Founder and Chairman, MyDentalPlan Healthcare Pvt Ltd, tells HealthShots, “Acidic food and liquids such as hot lemon water have the potential to erode the enamel (outer layer) of the teeth. As the enamel erodes, the dentin of the teeth becomes more visible and the teeth may appear yellowish or stained. Additionally, erosion of the enamel also makes the teeth sensitive.”
Dr Narula says that It is a common misconception that yellow teeth stand for teeth that are not properly clean. However, teeth can also appear yellow due to eroded enamel.
“In order to improve metabolism , most people drink hot lemon water post-meal. This can impact the tooth enamel adversely. We should be careful not to indulge in enamel harming activities. Any consumable item below the pH of level 4 can be harmful to our teeth,” he shares.
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.PERSONALISE NOW
Dr Narula has some simple pieces of advice regarding how you make the most of the benefits of lemon water.
* Make sure that the temperature of the water that you consume should not be too high.
* Make sure that one dilutes the lemon juice in enough water to reduce its acidity, before consuming.
* It is also advisable to not brush your teeth right after drinking lemon water, as this speeds up erosion. One should wait for at least 30 minutes after having lemon water, and use only dentist-recommended soft bristle brush.
So ladies, do not be casual about this habit, because it could cost you your dental health. Follow these tips and you are sorted!