Listen to this article
Detoxing can help in restoring our body to its original healthy state. It is, in fact, a rapidly growing trend in the world of fitness. While there is a lot of misconception around the process, those who have incorporated detoxification find it to be a significant component of their fitness routine. Dieticians and doctors also affirm the natural health benefits of detox regimes.
Detoxification acts like a reboot for the body because it helps in getting rid of toxins. The human body has several natural processes that facilitate detoxification. Organs like the liver and kidney function to process toxins out of our body through sweat, urine, faeces and more. However, factors such as rapid urbanization and exposure to pollutants, heavy metals, pesticides and preservatives have raised the average toxin consumption.
While some toxins are washed out through natural processes, a significant level of toxins gets stored in the tissues and cells of our bodies. This deposition leads to harmful metabolic, reproductive and mental health effects. In several cases, these toxins can also progress to create cancerous outcomes.
There are numerous health benefits associated with detoxification and cleansing. While different detoxification regimes focus on producing different results, detoxing is usually beneficial as it helps restore healthy liver and kidney functions.
The fibre-rich constituents of detoxification smoothies help in improving gut health by aiding the digestion and excretion process. While improved digestion and excretion have several other benefits, it promotes fat metabolism and easy removal of toxins. Blood purification is of great significance when it comes to skin health. The herbs found in detoxification teas and supplements help in purifying blood that provides healthy glowing skin and reduces wrinkles. Detoxification also helps in relieving stress and anxiety. It provides mental clarity and deep sleep that leads to improved energy level and vitality.
Several detoxification regimes contain targeted ingredients such as chlorella, spirulina and organic grass juice powders. These ingredients are rich in vitamins, minerals and cleansing compounds. Other popular ingredients of detoxification regimes are neem, turmeric and triphala.
1. Chlorella is a nutrient-rich freshwater algae that is closely related to Spirulina which is a saltwater algae. Among the numerous benefits attached to chlorella, the most prominent benefit is its ability to bind to heavy metals and flushing them out. Chlorella is also a great source of protein as it has all the nine amino acids present in it. The omega-3 fatty acids present in chlorella can prove to be beneficial for the heart. Studies show that it can help in lowering bad (LDL) cholesterol and triglycerides which can lead to blockage of arteries and cause strain on the heart.
2. Spirulina is similar to chlorella and is also a high source of protein with protein levels equivalent to that of an egg. In addition to this, spirulina is a rich source of antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. Just like chlorella, spirulina can help in lowering bad (LDL) cholesterol and triglycerides. Spirulina has also been found to be beneficial in curing blood pressure and has been effective in reducing cancerous growth in some cases.
3. Organic wheatgrass juices are loaded with a powerful mixture of nutrients that make them remarkably beneficial to our health. They have many therapeutic benefits and are known for the complete nourishment they provide. Organic wheatgrass juices have antioxidant, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties which make them an extremely important ingredient of detoxification programmes.
4. Neem is a wonder drug that has several usages. Generally, it is used for its blood-purification abilities in detoxification routines. Mostly prescribed in juice or supplement form, neem can treat multiple disorders including some liver problems.
5. Triphala is another Ayurvedic wonder that is used in detoxification programmes. Triphala cleanses and supports the entire GI tract. It helps in bowel care, normalizes digestion and excretion.
6. Turmeric which is a common kitchen ingredient in India is used in many detoxification regimes for its several health benefits. Turmeric formula supports healthy joints, radiant skin, and overall well-being.
Detox programs are gaining rapid recognition in the fitness world. They prevent toxic overload and thus, resolve or help prevent critical health problems. Noxious intake that is not discharged properly may cause several health issues and it is in our best interest to adopt detoxification routines.