Vaccination is boon for Hepatitis in children: Reasons why it is vital
A majority of parents tend to miss their child’s vaccination schedule. But this can be dangerous for the child as he/she may be at risk of getting Hepatitis B. Vaccination is the best tool to eliminate hepatitis B and the other problems associated with it. Here, we help the parents to understand why it is the need of the hour for children to get vaccinated against the disease without fail. Read on to know more about this, and schedule vaccination on an immediate basis. After all, you cannot take it lightly when it comes to your child’s well-being.
Scroll down to know the roll of the vaccine in children, but before that why not understand more about Hepatitis B.
What is Hepatitis B?
Hepatitis B is a serious liver infection occurring owing to the Hepatitis B virus (HBV). A large number of children tend to suffer from it. It spreads at birth, via open cuts or sores, sharing toothbrushes or other personal items, food chewed for a baby, and any infected family member or caregiver can pass the virus to your baby. The symptoms of the condition include:
- Muscle and joint pain
- Dark urine
- Poor appetite
Why do you need to get your child vaccinated?
Do you know that Hepatitis B is vaccine-preventable? Yes, that’s right! Taking timely vaccination can help children to keep Hepatitis B at bay. Know why your child should get a Hepatitis B shot.
1. Doing so can help your child to avoid the disease and lead a healthy life.
2. Vaccination will protect other people from the disease as children with Hepatitis B usually don’t exhibit any symptoms, but tend to pass the disease to others without anyone knowing they were infected. Thus, taking a shot is imperative for children.
3. Vaccination will prevent the child’s chances of getting liver disease and cancer from hepatitis B.
4. Your child will be able to attend school on a regular basis.
How safe is the vaccine?
Many parents fear and have safety concerns regarding the vaccine. But you need to be at ease as the vaccines are extremely safe and effective. The side effects are normally mild. Don’t panic or miss the vaccination at any cost.
Side effects of Hepatitis B vaccine
Some possible side effects of the vaccination:
- Soreness at the injection site can be seen in children which will go away in a day or two without any further complications.
Hepatitis B vaccination is the most effective and cost-saving strategy to prevent infection and its long-term impact on children. The birth dose of the hepatitis B vaccine is crucial as chronic HBV infection develops in many infants before 1 year of age. Thus, parents should be encouraged and educated regarding Hepatitis B vaccinations.