There has been a lot of noise around masks. While health organisations have been urging people to wear them, many people around us just don’t seem to be bothered. And some of those who do, let it hang around their mouth, leaving their nose exposed.
If you are a part of this lot, then let us tell you: there is nothing to be proud of here. Because these are a few of the reasons why India is rapidly inching towards becoming the covid-19 capital of the world.
Yes, we understand that at times face masks become claustrophobic. After all, we still aren’t used to wearing them all day long. But that’s the thing: you don’t have to wear a mask all the time. You just need to know when you wear it and when to skip it. And that’s exactly what we’re going to help you out with today.
This is when you HAVE to wear a mask:
1. If you are healthy but are taking care of a covid-19 positive person then wearing a face mask is a must.
2. In case you have developed a cough and if you are sneezing, then you must wear a face mask.
3. While traveling in public transport, cab, e-rickshaw, or two-wheeler wearing a mask is essential, says Dr Behram Pardiwala, an internal medicine expert at Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai
4. While taking a delivery, be it groceries or any other kind of shopping at home.
5. While stepping out to shop for groceries, to talk to a neighbour, visit a friend, or take your dog for a walk. Basically, you must never step out of your home without your mask.
6. While entertaining people at home, even if they are your closest friends. For matter, you and all members of your household should be wearing a mask whenever someone comes to visit.
“The point is that whenever you meet someone, you cannot be sure whether s/he is covid-19 positive or a carrier. So you have to wear a mask to protect yourself,” says Dr Pardiwala.
You can only skip your mask if you are at home, meeting people you know are coronavirus negative, have your own office cabin, or are travelling in your own vehicle which is sanitized properly.
If you are still confused as to why wearing a mask is important, even when you’re around people who might not be seeming sick, then let us remind you: many covid-19 carriers are asymptomatic.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), if you are in a public place where social distancing is difficult to follow then wearing a face mask can protect you from carriers who might not be showing any signs of covid-19.
The CDC also recommends that if you are hale and hearty then there is no need to splurge on N95 masks. According to them, a proper face covering will also suffice. Having said that, you still need to be vigilant about social distancing. But yes, if you are taking care of a SARS-CoV-2 patient then you must wear a proper surgical face mask.
Bottom line is…
It is better to be safe than sorry and with the speed at which covid-19 positive cases are increasing, it is always better to wear a face mask and stay safe.