Listen to this article
It could be that you envy those who have a low appetite, but it can be a warning sign. Wondering how? Neither you nor people with a low appetite realize that they might be going through a disorder or some mental health issues. In addition, not eating enough can lead to major deficiencies in the body and can make the situation worse. Therefore, if you or any of your friends are not hooked on clean-green food, we have some tips that will help to increase appetite.
Low appetite can be a consequence of some emotions, medications, and even health issues such as:
1. Stress: Any stress is a real challenge for your body. One reason is that stress causes your body to release a hormone called epinephrine, also dubbed adrenaline, which temporarily diminishes hunger.
2. Medicines: “It’s no secret that medications come with a long list of potential side effects. And it goes without saying that these side effects can make you lose your appetite,” shares renowned nutritionist, Lovneet Batra, with Health Shots.
3. Depression: People with depression often lose interest in food, which in turn can cause loss of appetite.
4. Viral or bacterial infections (eg. stomach flu, cold, food poisoning, etc.): “When you get viral or bacterial infections, your body needs to make sure it will get necessary amounts of energy to fight the disease. That’s why it releases cytokines – special hormones – that cause decreased appetite and make you tired,” suggests Batra.
5. Underlying medical conditions: Long-term medical conditions (such as diabetes, thyroid, hormonal imbalance, etc.) can cause a loss of appetite for a range of reasons that vary depending on the cause
6. Eating disorders: Anorexia nervosa, which causes someone to restrict their food intake, may reduce the person’s desire to eat even though their body needs food.
Apart from that, drinking water 30-minutes before your meal and taking a big plate while eating can also help you eat more than what you normally do.
“It’s important to seek help when you have been experiencing unexplained low appetite for an extended period of time,” concludes Batra.
So, if you are low on bhookh, try these tips for the love of your health.