Listen to this article
The memory of parijat or night jasmine is so fresh in our minds, especially post the release of Shoojit Sircar’s film October in 2018. The fragrant white flowers with orange twigs that abound in autumn also denote the ephemeral nature of life. Also known as raat ki rani, this tree has a mention in Indian mythology and just like its name, is in full bloom at night.
But apart from spreading its fragrance, are there any benefits that this flower offers? We got in touch with prominent Ayurveda expert Dr Nitika Kohli to know the reasons why this flower is so beneficial, and also its various applications.
“Parijat leaves or night jasmine has always been the most different flower plant of all time. Its nature of blooming at night has always been an interesting fact to know. This beautiful flower has many medicinal benefits from curing malaria fever to relieving people from arthritis pain. This plant’s leaves can benefit a person in multiple ways. I highly recommend the usage of these leaves as it has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and antioxidant properties,” she explains.
According to a ‘literary review’ of Parijat in the Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal, the leaf, root, flower and seed of the plant are usually used in different dosage forms like juice, powder, decoction etc. for various disease conditions.
1. Helps with arthritis: It helps to reduce joint pain that is associated with arthritis. Although this happens increasingly with age, it can also show up in younger people due to their sedentary lifestyles and unhealthy eating habits.
2. Tackles fever: It is said that parijat can help to bring down fever. As per Ayurveda, accumulation of ama or toxins in the body can lead to fever and infections. This flower helps to reduce ama in the body, thereby helping to combat this issue.
3. Relieves indigestion: As per Ayurveda, indigestion occurs due to the imbalance of pitta dosha. This again leads to the accumulation of ama in the body, and causes indigestion.
Dr Kohli says it can be used to treat many types of fevers, arthritis pain and cough. The whole plant can be used in various ways to treat different issues.
1. Parijat flowers: These beautiful little aromatic flowers are a blessing for people who have gastric complaints and respiratory issues.
2. Parijat leaves: These can be used for treating different kinds of fever, cough, and worm investigation. The juice of these leaves works as a tonic for your body. It can be taken orally by boiling 10 leaves of parijat and having it in the form of kadha.
3. Parijat stem: The stem of this medicinal plant can be converted into a powder and must be taken with a glass of water. It reduces joint pain and is also effective in treating malaria.
So ladies, drive several health issues away with parijat!