Have you gained a lot of weight lately? Has your immunity gone for a toss? Are you feeling irritable all the time? If you answered all these questions in the affirmative, then it’s quite likely that you’re drinking alcohol way more than you should. That’s because all these are some prominent signs of too much alcohol in your system.
We are well aware that alcohol has an adverse impact on all the integral organs of our body, whether it is our liver or heart. It causes inflammation in the organs, which can also cause diabetes and that’s not a good sign!
According to Dr Salini Somasundaram, chief dietitian from Columbia Asia Hospital, Pune, consuming too much alcohol also makes you prone to pancreatic cancer.
“Excessive alcohol consumption can increase triglyceride levels – a type of fat in your blood that contributes to the risk of developing dangerous health conditions, such as heart disease and diabetes. Too much alcohol in a short period of time can overwhelm the metabolic process and lead to fatty liver,” she explains.
Another shocker is that alcohol not just wrecks your physical health, but it also impacts your mental health.
“When you consume alcohol in large quantities, it affects your brain, because of which you’re more likely to experience a loss of balance, as well as memory and emotional response issues,” she explained. Sigh!
Well, all these reasons are good enough to understand why you should break up with alcohol. But we also want you to look at the bright picture, because your body will transform when you quit this bad habit!
1. Your skin will restore its health. Of course, alcohol is no elixir and it destroys all the antioxidants that your skin requires to stay young. Once you quit drinking, these antioxidants make a comeback in your body, and you’ll see your skin transform.
2. You will lose weight. Alcohol is loaded with empty calories that causes major weight gain. Plus, if you stop drinking alcohol, then you will experience less bloating.
3. Your blood pressure stays in control. It will lower your blood pressure, levels of fat called triglycerides, and chances of heart failure.
4. Your liver can repair itself and even regenerate as less alcohol means less stress on it. So, it’s always worth drinking less or quitting.
5. Your immunity will be back on track. Large amounts of alcohol harm your immune system, and your body’s ability to repair itself.
6. Your cognitive function improves. You get more control over your emotions. Quitting alcohol helps the brain to regain some of its abilities : your memory will get back on track, you will feel calmer, and so much more!
Of course, it won’t happen in a day. You need to stick to the plan and give at least a month’s time to notice the impact. So, follow an alcohol-free routine and see the difference.