PCOS – these four letters can be life-changing. No, we aren’t kidding; we mean it in every way. But before we jump to conclusions about this hormonal disorder, it is important to do a fact check. Do you know why? Because there are a million myths around PCOS.
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder, and in most cases, women of childbearing age, those between 15 and 45 years, get affected. The fact is this disorder affects a woman’s ovaries. Ovaries are the reproductive organs that produce hormones like estrogen and progesterone that regulate the menstrual cycle.
The ovaries make an egg every month that symbolises a healthy menstrual cycle but with PCOS, the eggs may not develop and get released by the ovaries, as they should.
“During PCOS, the reproductive hormones go out of whack, due to which women may have infrequent or prolonged menstrual periods or excess male hormone (androgen) levels,” explains Dr Aruna Kalra, senior gynaecologist and obstetrician at CK Birla Hospital, Gurugram.
1. Eating disorders, including anorexia and binge eating disorder, are common among women with PCOS.
2. You can very well get pregnant if you have PCOS.
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.PERSONALISE NOW
3. Women with PCOS have higher rates of anxiety and depression.
4. If a woman is taking metformin or oral contraceptives, it is also important for her to take a B12 supplement, as the drug can interfere with absorption of the vitamin.
5. “Regular exercise is an effective way to improve insulin levels in women with PCOS,” says Dr Kalra.
6. Women with PCOS are at a higher risk of gestational diabetes, miscarriages, preterm deliveries and stillbirths.
7. Vitamin D, a hormone and a vitamin, has been shown to play a role in insulin resistance and egg development.
8. According to studies, sleep disturbances are twice as common in women with PCOS as compared to the women without it.
9. If you are a breastfeeding mom, PCOS can hamper the supply of your milk.
Told ya! You’ll be shocked to know that there are so many myths that you would have believed, before reading this article.