Pregnant and tired? Highly nutritious foods to binge on during your pregnancyPublished on: 16 April 2022, 13:30 pm IST
Congratulations on your pregnancy! But are you being advised to eat for two throughout the period of nine months? Well, we get you. All the pregnancy diet advice from your near and dear ones may leave you feeling uneasy. You need to hear that patiently as a form of love and excitement for your little one and take it lightly. However, we have got you covered on the kind of food you really need to keep you and the baby fit as a fiddle.
HealthShots spoke to Dr Swathi Reddy, Consultant Physiotherapist and certified diet counsellor and MIAP, Motherhood Hospitals, Bengaluru, to suggest a pregnancy diet for a healthy baby.
Dr Reddy says, “Pregnancy is the time when the demand for nutrition increases in order to have a healthy baby. After all, your body is undergoing significant changes, and you and your baby both want a full supply of vitamins and minerals to remain healthy and strong. To get that, focus on whole foods that provide more of the good things while creating your healthy eating plan.”
Here are a few incredibly nutritious foods to include in your pregnancy diet to help you meet your nutrient requirements:
1. Folic acid and choline
These two are important nutrients, which help in preventing neural tube defects in babies and helps in the development of baby’s brain and spinal cord. This should be taken prior to conceiving and to be continued until the end of the first trimester, as advised by your doctor. Sources include eggs, soya beans, green leafy vegetables, sunflower seeds, whole grains, beans, seafood as well.
2. Protein and calcium
Inclusion of high protein and calcium foods in your daily diet is important, as growing a foetus requires them for bone formation and a healthy body. Curd is the best source of calcium, while other sources of calcium are ragi, green leafy vegetables and chia seeds. For protein, include legumes like lentils, peas, beans, chickpeas, soybeans, peanuts and include poultry foods like egg, meat (restrict intake of red meat), small fish, nuts, seeds, milk and its products, soya and tofu. You may have to restrict intake of a few foods based on your condition.
3. Vitamin A
It plays an important role in the embryonic growth, including the development of the heart, lungs, kidneys, eyes, and bones as well as the circulatory, respiratory, and central nervous systems.
Including foods rich in iron and omega-3 fatty acids is important for brain development of the baby. So, the five best foods to be included in your pregnancy diet are whole grains, milk and its products, nuts and seeds, fresh fruits and vegetables (preferably seasonal), and smaller fishes.
Here are some foods to include in your pregnancy diet:
- Sweet potatoes are not only tasty, but they are also high in beta-carotene, a plant pigment that your body converts to vitamin A.
- Eggs are the perfect health food since they include a small amount of nearly every vitamin you require.
- Broccoli and dark green veggies such as kale and spinach are high in nutrients that you will need. Even if you do not like them, they may be sneaked into a variety of cuisines.
- Chicken is a great source of high-quality protein, which you need in greater quantities during pregnancy.
- Berries are packed with nutrients such as water, nutritious carbohydrates, vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Whole grains, unlike processed grains, are high in fiber, vitamins, and plant components. Instead of white bread, spaghetti, and white rice, consider oats, quinoa, brown rice, wheat berries, and barley.
- Dried fruit has a lot of calories, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Dried fruit has the same nutritional value as fresh fruit, but without the water and in a much smaller package.
- The oily liver of fish, most often cod, is used to make fish liver oil. It is high in omega-3 fatty acids like EPA and DHA, which are important for prenatal brain and eye development.
Including a well-balanced food with all the required whole grains, milk products, fruits and veggies and seafood will help you to be healthy and to give birth to a healthy and active baby. There are a plethora of delectable food to provide you and your kid with all you require.