Calcium is the ultimate superhero for your bones. It is the building block of a sturdy foundation of a house. This mineral is vital in promoting healthy bone density as well as educing the risk of fractures as you age. Calcium is also responsible in the maintenance of joints, ensuring they remain well-lubricated and functional. That explains why reaping the health benefits of calcium is important, whether you have your eyes set on a fitness goal or simply for a healthy and active lifestyle.
With busy schedules, people may struggle to meet daily nutritional requirements if they are not eating a balanced diet or not checking their health parameters enough. The risk of calcium deficiency may increase if you lack enough calcium in your diet. Of course, your diet must include calcium-rich foods, it has become very common for people to use calcium supplements or the best calcium tablets.
If you lack calcium, several health issues can arise, including:
1. Weak bones
2. Dental problems
3. Muscle issues
4. Nervous system effects
5. Cardiac concerns
6. Bone deformities in children
7. Slow growth and development in children
8. Fatigue and general weakness
9. Increased risk of hypertension.
One of the most well-known consequences of calcium deficiency is osteoporosis, a condition characterised by weak and brittle bones, increasing the risk of fractures, particularly in older adults. In children, severe calcium deficiency can lead to rickets, a condition that causes soft and weakened bones, leading to skeletal deformities. Adults may experience osteopenia, a condition where bone density is lower than normal, which is a precursor to osteoporosis.
Beyond bone health, a lack of calcium can also result in muscle problems such as spasms, cramps, or aches. Moreover, it can lead to numbness and tingling in the hands, feet, and face, as well as heart palpitations due to its role in muscle contractions, including those of the heart.
Additionally, long-term calcium deficiency can affect the skin, nails, and hair, and may even play a role in the development of certain neurological and cardiovascular diseases.
1. If your diet lacks calcium-rich foods like dairy products, leafy greens, and certain fish, supplements can help meet the recommended daily intake.
2. As you age, your bone density naturally decreases. Older adults, especially postmenopausal women, may need calcium supplements to prevent osteoporosis.
3. Conditions like osteoporosis, osteopenia, or gastrointestinal diseases that impair calcium absorption may necessitate the use of calcium supplements.
4. Vitamin D is crucial for calcium absorption. If you have low vitamin D levels, you might need additional calcium.
5. The calcium needs to increase during pregnancy and breastfeeding to support the development of the baby.
For those seeking the best calcium tablets, Himalayan Organics Alfalfa Calcium Citrate Malate 1200 Mg is a top contender. This product is a comprehensive bone, joint, and muscle health booster. Each of its 120 vegetarian tablets is fortified with an impressive blend of Vitamin D, K2, MK7, B12, Zinc, and Magnesium. This makes it an all-encompassing choice for boosting immunity and maintaining robust skeletal health. What sets it apart is the high potency of 1200mg of Calcium Citrate Malate, a form of calcium that’s well-absorbed and gentle on the digestive system. The inclusion of Vitamin K2 and MK7 ensures that calcium is directed to where it’s needed most – your bones, rather than accumulating in arteries. Plus, the addition of Vitamin B12, Zinc, and Magnesium aids in muscle health and overall vitality.
Amway Nutrilite Alfalfa Calcium Plus stands out as one of the best calcium tablets in the market, especially for those who value the combination of natural and scientific approaches to health. This pack of 90N tablets is designed to cater to the daily calcium needs of adults. Each tablet combines calcium with the goodness of alfalfa – a nutrient-rich herb known for its health benefits. The calcium content in these tablets is derived from oyster shells, which are one of the most concentrated forms of calcium. This ensures higher bioavailability and better absorption. Furthermore, the tablets also contain Vitamin D, which plays a crucial role in calcium absorption and bone health. Its blend of calcium, alfalfa, and Vitamin D is suited for individuals aiming to enhance their bone strength and overall well-being.
HealthKart HK Vitals Calcium + Vitamin D3 Supplement is among the best calcium tablets for those dedicated to maintaining complete bone health and joint support. This package of 90 calcium tablets is enhanced with Magnesium and Zinc, offering a comprehensive solution for both women and men. Each tablet is rich in nutrients, containing a balanced blend of Calcium and Vitamin D3, which are essential for healthy bones and joints. The addition of Magnesium and Zinc not only supports bone density but also contributes to overall health. Vitamin D3 in the tablets enhances calcium absorption, ensuring your body gets the maximum benefit from each dose. This supplement is particularly suited for adults.
Centrum OstoCalcium Total Chewables are a leading choice for those in search of the best calcium tablets, particularly appealing to those who prefer chewable supplements. These 30 vegetarian chewables are formulated with Vitamin D and Calcium, supporting strong bones, joints, and muscles. Each chewable tablet is a convenient and tasty way to meet your daily calcium and Vitamin D requirements. The Vitamin D in the formula enhances calcium absorption, ensuring your bones get the full benefit of the supplement. These chewables are especially beneficial for individuals who have difficulty swallowing pills or prefer a more palatable option. This is ideal for people of all ages looking to maintain or improve their bone health.
Meltvit Chewable Calcium Tablets’ 60-tablet pack is specifically crafted for individuals who prioritise both efficacy and convenience in their supplements. Each chewable tablet offers a significant 1000mg of Calcium Citrate Malate, a highly absorbable form of calcium, ensuring maximum benefit with each dose. The addition of Vitamin D3 aids in the absorption and regulation of calcium and phosphate, contributing to stronger bones and teeth. Furthermore, Magnesium and Zinc bolster bone health and play a role in muscle function. These tablets are uniquely water-soluble, enhancing their absorption and making them a gentle option for the digestive system. The mint flavour of Meltvit Chewables adds a pleasant twist, making the intake of this supplement a refreshing experience. It is the ideal option for adults seeking a potent and enjoyable calcium supplement.
It’s generally acceptable to take calcium tablets without consulting a physician, especially if you’re aware of your dietary intake and are certain that you’re not getting enough calcium. The best calcium tablets can be a convenient way to ensure you’re meeting your daily calcium needs, particularly if your diet lacks calcium-rich foods. Many people safely use these supplements to support their bones and overall health.
Although calcium is essential for bone health, self-medication can lead to complications, especially if you have pre-existing health conditions or are taking other medications that might interact with calcium supplements. Excessive calcium intake can result in adverse effects like kidney stones and may impact heart health. A healthcare provider can recommend the appropriate dosage based on your individual health needs, dietary intake, and lifestyle factors. They can also monitor for potential side effects or interactions, ensuring the safe and effective use of calcium supplements.
Choosing the right calcium tablet can be a game of balance. It involves considering several factors to ensure you get a supplement that meets your specific health needs while avoiding any potential side effects. Here’s how you can select the best calcium tablets:
1. Type of calcium: Calcium supplements come in various forms, primarily calcium citrate and calcium carbonate. Calcium citrate is easily absorbed and can be taken with or without food, making it suitable for individuals with digestive issues. Calcium carbonate, on the other hand, is cheaper and should be taken with meals for better absorption.
2. Dosage and absorption: Check the amount of elemental calcium in each tablet, which is the actual amount of calcium you receive. It’s recommended to take smaller doses (500 mg or less) multiple times a day for better absorption.
3. Additional nutrients: Look for supplements that also contain Vitamin D, magnesium, and possibly Vitamin K2, as these help with calcium absorption and utilisation in the body.
4. Purity and quality: Ensure the supplement has been tested for purity and does not contain harmful levels of lead or other heavy metals. Certifications from independent organisations can be a sign of quality.
5. Personal health considerations: Consult with a doctor, especially if you have pre-existing health conditions. They can advise you on the right type and amount of calcium to take.
6. Allergens and fillers: If you have allergies or dietary restrictions, check for potential allergens like lactose or gluten and avoid supplements with excessive fillers or artificial additives.
(Disclaimer: At Health Shots, we make a constant effort to break the clutter for our readers. All products listed are carefully curated by the editorial team. But their price and availability may differ from the time of publication. If you buy something using these links in the story, we may earn a commission.)