For many of us, the monsoons may be a welcome relief from the scintillating summer sun, but for our little ones, not everything about the rainy season is delightful. So while the rains help cool down the soaring temperatures, the humidity and dampness in the air come with their own set of issues such as heat rashes, skin infections, pus boils, and nappy rashes in babies. Get some handy tips for baby care in monsoon!
Every weather change is a battle on its own for a baby’s skin, the high humidity on the one hand and the coolness of the monsoon, on the other, is what most parents worry about. An infant’s skin is most vulnerable to catching infections during monsoon and needs extra care. Hence, new parents are always on the lookout for the best tips that can protect babies from monsoon-prone skin problems.
Ideally, during the rainy season, the baby’s skin should be kept away from dampness, as damp skin creates a favorable environment for microbes and fungi to grow, resulting in an array of skin problems, ranging from irritation and rashes to ringworm.
You can follow these tips to protect your baby’s skin in the monsoons:
1. Massage your baby’s skin with good natural oils such as virgin coconut-based baby oil. It has many nutrients, which are also found in mother‘s milk, providing essential and safe nourishment to your baby’s skin.
2. During the monsoon, keep your baby away from dirty surroundings or from someone who is sick. Your baby could be prone to catching infections during weather transitions, especially the constant change in temperatures during the monsoon.
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.PERSONALISE NOW
3. With humidity and coolness of the weather fluctuating every few hours in the rainy season, it is important to layer your baby appropriately. Always keep a swaddle handy to wrap your child.
4. With an increase in the moisture in the atmosphere, babies are prone to diaper rashes too. Prevent this by changing your baby’s diaper as soon as you know it is soiled, and give them a diaper-free time when you can rely on cotton diapers to allow adequate aeration.
5. Virgin coconut-based baby oil, which can be applied externally, promotes lipid layer formation in the baby’s skin and promotes levels of microbe-repelling fatty acids. Its application helps lay the foundation for healthy skin in a child. A healthy lipid barrier prevents external microbes from entering a baby’s otherwise thin and young skin. Not just that, if your baby has eczema-prone skin, virgin coconut-based baby oil application reduces bacterial colonization on the skin. This prevents eczema flare-ups too.
6. Avoid synthetic clothing completely for your baby as it increases sweating and adds to the discomfort a baby has during the humid weather.
7. Trust only cotton clothes for your baby’s skin. Wash any new piece of clothing before putting it onto the baby’s body. Get rid of any cotton clothes that release the dye on washing.
8. Keep your baby indoors as much as possible during the monsoon season, and use bed nets with mosquito repellents to prevent vector-borne infections.
Maintaining healthy skin care habits right from infancy can have a long-lasting impact on your child’s overall health. With these simple tips for baby care in monsoon, tackling skincare for the little one can become easier and less intimidating. If your baby has problematic skin, it is advisable to consult your dermatologist or pediatrician.