A little bit of gas and acidity issues are common. But when too much gas gets built up in your intestines, you may have the unpleasant stomach cramping or experience bloating. The other day, I experienced all this after having a lot of beans. The beans made my tastebuds happy, but left me with a gas problem. That’s when my mom suggested me to have baking soda with lemon juice to relieve gas. Let’s see what an expert has to say about this home remedy to get rid of gas.
Before we move on to the remedy, let’s check out the several factors that can cause gas problems. Some of them are:
• Swallowing air while eating or drinking
• Consuming gas-inducing foods like beans, cabbage and and carbonated beverages
• Gastrointestinal conditions such as lactose intolerance or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
• Hormonal fluctuations during the menstrual cycle can also contribute to increased gas
• Stress and anxiety can affect digestive processes, leading to gas and discomfort.
Baking soda and lemon juice are commonly used as a home remedy for gas relief, says senior dietitian N Lakshmi. Here are some reasons why:
• Baking soda can help to neutralise stomach acid, potentially alleviating heartburn and indigestion that can lead to gas.
• Lemon juice’s acidity, which becomes alkaline during digestion. It may stimulate the production of digestive enzymes, aiding efficient digestion and reducing bloating and gas.
Apart from gas relief, this mixture may offer additional potential benefits such as –
• Alkalizing the body due to baking soda’s alkaline nature, promoting the activity of digestive enzymes, potentially aiding digestion
• It may even support weight loss.
To use baking soda and lemon juice for gas relief, mix half a teaspoon of baking soda with the juice of half a lemon in a glass. Stir it until the baking soda gets completely dissolved then dilute the mixture with water and drink it slowly.
The expert says it’s crucial to use this remedy in moderation if you have persistent or worsening gas-related issues.
The safe quantity for consumption of baking soda and lemon juice mixture is typically half a teaspoon of baking soda with the juice of half a lemon, diluted in a glass of water, says Lakshmi. Don’t go overboard, as overconsumption of baking soda and lemon juice may lead to various side effects –
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.PERSONALISE NOW
• Electrolyte imbalances
• Development of alkalosis characterised by overly high pH levels in the body
• Stomach discomfort or upset stomach
• Harm to tooth enamel due to the acidity of lemon juice.
Caution should be exercised, and some people should avoid the use of baking soda and lemon juice remedy for gas. The list includes –
• People with underlying medical conditions such as kidney issues, hypertension or heart problems
• Pregnant or nursing women
• People with digestive disorders like acid reflux, gastritis or ulcers, as they may experience exacerbated symptoms with this mixture
• People on low-sodium diets should be aware that baking soda contains sodium and may not be suitable for them.
Home remedies might seem to be easy ways to find relief, but it’s essential to have an idea before using any ingredient from the kitchen, particularly for chronic health concerns, to ensure safety.