My mom says hair oiling will reduce my hair fall, but an expert says it’s not truePublished on: 20 December 2021, 21:38 pm IST
For as long as I can remember, the elders in my house have recommended hair oiling at least twice a week! Their words to woo include healthy and swift hair growth, dandruff-free hair and stronger hair roots. But today, I came across a celebrity dermatologist’s social media post on some common myths about hair oiling.
Before you come to a quick conclusion, hair oiling is not all that worthless! But I am not sure if you can trust it completely when it comes to curing your winter dandruff or hair growth issues.
According to celebrity dermatologist Dr Jaishree Sharad, “Hair oils cannot cause hair growth or reduce hair fall. Hair oil is not the solution for dandruff too.”
The expert took to Instagram to bust some myths around hair oiling. Let’s find out more:
Myths and facts regarding hair oiling:
1. Does not affect the growth:
Hair oils do not affect the growth of the hair. Hair oils cannot cause hair growth or reduce hair fall, says Dr Sharad. Hair oils are good for nourishing the scalp and providing protein but don’t affect the growth of the hair. Hair growth is a natural process
2. Prevents dandruff:
Hair oiling is not the solution for dandruff. It can have certain effects in the treatment of dandruff but it can’t cut the problem from the roots. According to Dr Sharad, dandruff is caused due to scalp conditions, like oily skin, dry skin etc.
Here are some tricks that can be worthy solutions to your hair problems, suggests Dr Sharad
- For hair fall, contact your dermatologist to identify the cause and treat it.
- Take supplements of vitamins A, B, C, D, E and minerals like calcium, zinc, magnesium, chromium, iron. Have a high protein diet for healthy hair.
- For dandruff, use a 2% Ketoconazole-based shampoo or a zinc pyrithione based shampoo.
How does hair oiling help?
Ranging from environmental stressors to personal stress, our hair goes through a lot throughout the day. It’s no wonder that it needs extra care, and hair oiling is one way for hair care. This is the goodness that hair oiling brings to your mane:.
1. Hair oils are good conditioners:
Regularly oiling your hair is proven to be a great moisturizer for the hair. Dr Sharad recommends, “Coconut oil or almond oil or onion oil are all good for the hair and act as hair conditionerS”.
2. Hair oils nourish the hair shaft and improve the frizziness or dryness.
3. Hair oiling forms a protective coat over the hair shaft.