Have you heard of the term ‘vaginal flora’? Do you exactly know what it means? Well, simply put, vaginal flora is the bacteria that stay in your vagina. Don’t fret, they are not there to harm your vaginal canal, but help to keep it healthy.
Lactobacillus bacteria is the species that is found in a healthy vagina. This bacteria is responsible for maintaining a microbiome for your vagina, that’s absolutely safe. This bacteria is known to produce lactic acid, hydrogen peroxide, and other substances that protect your vagina from severe infections.
There are many other functions that lactobacillus bacteria has:
This is what happens when lactobacillus bacteria drops in count
Do you know the correct pH balance of your vagina? Well, it is less than 4.5, and if it increases, then your vagina turns acidic. And this is where the problem starts. When your vagina turns acidic, there is a major drop in the levels of these healthy bacteria. Due to which, infections like bacterial vaginosis can invade your vagina.
Bacterial vaginosis is one of the most common vaginal infections, which have associated symptoms like abnormal discharge, itching, and vaginal odour. At times, it is very painful and discomforting.
Not just that, but according to experts, if your vaginal flora isn’t good in number, then you are at a high risk of deadly viruses like HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases.
Can you restore your vaginal flora?
According to Ob-Gynae, Dr Pratima Thamke from Motherhood Hospital, you can definitely do certain things that can help to restore your vaginal flora, if it is disrupted. Here’s what you can do:
1. Eat probiotics. Even researchers from Harvard have agreed to the fact that if you include probiotics in your diet, you can increase the number of lactobacillus bacteria in your vagina.
2. Stop douching. Douching is always prohibited, whether your vaginal flora is disrupted or not, as it hinders the pH levels and that’s not a good thing! .
3. Don’t use soap to clean your vagina. Your vagina can self-clean and is good at that! Just use some lukewarm water and gently clean the vaginal area ,every alternate day.
4. Maintain good hygiene during periods. Change your sanitary napkins, tampons, or menstrual cups from time to time.
5. Don’t use any kind of scented products around your lady parts, as they contain preservatives and other harmful chemicals that can impact the vaginal flora.
6. Always have safe sex.
7. Lastly, go for regular screening of your vagina.
So ladies, make sure to follow these tips to have a happy and healthy vagina!