Do you know that hair growth may be accelerated in pregnant women? Well, this happens due to an imbalance in the levels of hormones, especially estrogen. Women often notice hair growth in unwanted areas including their chin, upper lips, nipples, tummy, and pubic region. While managing excessive hair growth in these areas is pretty easy, some women may consider bikini waxing during pregnancy to get rid of pubic hair. But the question is, is it safe to have a bikini wax in pregnancy? Let’s find out!
Health Shots spoke to Dr Rinky Kapoor, Consultant Dermatologist, Cosmetic Dermatologist and Dermato-Surgeon, The Esthetic Clinics, to find all the pros and cons of bikini waxing during pregnancy.
A pregnant lady finds it simpler to remove hair from her chin, underarms, belly, or even her legs. However, the baby bump makes it extremely difficult to reach the vagina to remove hair. That is why many women consider bikini waxing.
Dr Kapoor says, “It is the need of the hour to keep the intimate area clean during pregnancy to avoid vaginal infections. But it is essential to ask the doctor before opting for bikini waxing during pregnancy. A lot of doctors may recommend pubic hair throughout pregnancy to keep the area clean and infection-free. So if you are trying to do bikini waxing for the first time during pregnancy, look for red flags of infection such as itching, swelling, and burning sensation during urination.”
Also, read: 7 reasons to ditch wax strips and use a razor for hair removal
Ladies, keep in mind that pubic hair might get long and fluffy during pregnancy. However, after giving birth, this hair growth should resume its typical pattern. So, don’t worry!
Now let’s get to check the pros and cons of bikini waxing during pregnancy.
1. It helps to keep the area clean and reduces the risk of infection.
2. It helps keep pubic hair growth in control which happens rapidly during pregnancy and causes itching.
3. It reduces the chances of heat rashes down there.
4. It keeps the area clean and the woman ready for labor.
5. It gives you a long term result as compared to using razor or hair removing creams.
Also, read: Want to get rid of pubic hair at home? Here are 5 easy ways
1. Due to the pregnancy, the vaginal area already becomes very sensitive. Therefore, getting waxing can be extremely painful and unbearable.
2. Some women may notice rashes or itching after bikini waxing.
3. Hot wax can burn the skin if not done carefully. It can be sensitive to the vagina and can even disturb the pH balance.
4. The skin down there is so sensitive, and waxing can cause tears and cuts. This can infect the hair follicle causing acute folliculitis, boils, and abscesses. So, be careful while bikini waxing.
5. Broken skin also increases the chances of skin infections which can usually be managed with topical antibiotics.
The last word
Well, bikini waxing during pregnancy is usually considered safe but you need to avoid it in the last 1-2 months and should follow all the precautions.
Vagina is an area prone to infection and experiences an unbalanced pH level more and often. Pregnancy can double the risk therefore you need to be more vigilant about your intimate hygiene. During pregnancy, a woman may suffer rashes, itching, foul smell, lumps and bumps down there. To keep these issues at bay, follow these 7 intimate hygiene tips:
Track your Menstrual health using
Healthshots Period tracker