Listen to this article
Dealing with Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) is not as easy as it seems. Only those who suffer from it know the real pain. UTI happens when there is bacteria in your bladder. The worst part? It can even affect your kidneys. Not only this, the increased visit to the washroom, burning sensation, and itching down there due to infection can take a toll on your vaginal health. To get some relief, there are several home remedies which can help you deal it, but have you ever tried herbs for UTI treatment?
Yes, you heard it right! Some of our kitchen favourite herbs can offer a range of benefits which can help to tackle UTI symptoms.
HealthShots got in touch with Dr Samudrika Patil, Clinical endocrinologist and CEO of Vedicure Healthcare and Wellness, to find out the best herbs which can help in getting relief from UTIs.
1. Herbs contain anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties which can help kill the bad bacteria down there.
2. Due to these properties, herbs can also help in curing irritation and itching that happen due to infection in the urine.
3. Herbs are healthy and therefore they can boost your immune system as well. A strong immune system can help in fighting against the infection effectively.
4. Due to the medicinal properties present in herbs, it can also speed up the healing process.
5. Plus, herbs contain anti-fungal properties as well which helps in suppressing the bacterial and yeast infections in the vagina.
Herbs are a natural way to get some relief from UTI and can work easing out their symptoms of it.
UTI in women is more common than you think. It can be really painful in some cases, and embarrassing and will make it difficult for you to do your daily chores with ease. “The herb, dandelion leaf, is known as a diuretic that increases the amount of urine to eliminate fluid in your body. This can flush the bladder and relieve symptoms like pain,” said Dr Patil.
Moreover, it is rich in antibacterial properties which can help to kill the bacteria from the urine and down there. You need to confirm with your expert before opting for it.
Garlic is a very common herb used to treat your digestive woes due to its high medicinal properties. But guess what? It has antibacterial properties which can be beneficial for those with UTIs. You will be surprised to know that garlic supplements can help one manage UTIs caused by non-E.coli bacteria. But, you need to be careful before opting for garlic and have it only after consulting the expert.
Goldenseal herb is one the best herbs that you can use to get some relief from UTI. It helps to kill bacteria and strengthen the immune system.
According to Dr Patil, this herb is antibacterial in nature and will help you to reduce the inflammation of the wall of the urinary tract. Moreover, this herb can also prevent the infectious E-coli bacteria which is the most common cause of urinary tract infection.
Tinospora cordifolia, also known as Giloy and Guduchi, has multiple benefits when it comes to our health. It is packed with several medicinal properties which are very effective in boosting immunity. We’re recommending you to try this herb for UTI because this is an anti-inflammatory herb that has immunomodulating action, therefore helps one get rid of urine infections.
You can try Ashwagandha if you want to tackle your urinary tract infection. Dr Patil said it contains antioxidants and therefore it is very effective in treating a UTI. Remember that it is essential to treat UTIs at the right time, not doing so will lead to complications. Do not take it lightly at all!
Try these drinks:
1. Green tea because it is rich in antioxidants.
2. Chamomile tea because it contains anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
3. Peppermint tea because of its antimicrobial, anti-fungal, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory power.
4. Cranberry tea because it contains polyphenols, an antioxidant that is effective in treating UTI.
5. Chamomile tea because of its antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties which can relieve the pain caused by infection.