Listen to this article
Let’s take a look at how to make healthy, nutritious and absolutely lip-smacking raw turmeric halwa also known as fresh turmeric or kacchi haldi halwa. Halwa is one of the most favourite dessert options among the Indians, especially in winter and what better way to make it winter perfect by adding something that strengthens our immunity: turmeric!
Raw turmeric halwa is a traditional Indian dessert made from fresh turmeric root. It is a delicious and healthy way to consume turmeric, which has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine for its numerous health benefits. It is also a great dessert option for diabetics. If eaten in moderation, raw turmeric will be beneficial for people with diabetes.
1. Anti-inflammatory properties: You might have noticed your grandparents drinking warm turmeric milk for joint pain. They do that because turmeric contains curcumin, a potent anti-inflammatory compound that can help reduce inflammation and pain in the body.
2. Digestive health: Turmeric is known to improve digestion and relieve digestive problems such as bloating and gas.
3. Antioxidant properties: Turmeric is a rich source of antioxidants that can help protect the body from free radical damage and oxidative stress.
4. Immune system support: Turmeric has immune-boosting properties that can help strengthen the immune system and reduce the risk of infections.
5. Brain health: Turmeric has been shown to improve cognitive function and protect the brain from age-related decline.
6. Regulating blood sugar levels: Turmeric has been shown to help regulate blood sugar levels by improving insulin sensitivity and reducing insulin resistance. This can help people with diabetes maintain stable blood sugar levels.
Now that we know the magical health benefits of kacchi haldi halwa, let’s quickly start cooking it by following this easy recipe.
*1 cup grated fresh turmeric root
*1/2 cup ghee (take less to make it healthier)
*1/2 cup jaggery (unrefined cane sugar)
*1/4 cup chopped nuts (almonds, cashews, pistachios)
*1/4 cup raisins
*1/4 cup water
Wash and peel the kacchi haldi or fresh turmeric. Grate it using a fine grater or a food processor.
Now, take a heavy bottom pan, put in on medium flame and heat the ghee in it.
Add the grated turmeric to the pan and stir continuously for 10-12 minutes, until it becomes aromatic and the raw smell disappears.
Add the jaggery and stir until it melts and combines well with the turmeric.
Add the chopped nuts and raisins and stir well.
Add 1/4 cup water and stir continuously until the mixture thickens and starts to leave the sides of the pan.
Once you reach your desired consistency, turn off the heat and let the halwa cool down for a few minutes.
Serve warm or cold, garnished with chopped nuts.
Storage: Raw turmeric halwa can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. To reheat, simply warm it up in a microwave or on the stove.
Why not try making this traditional Indian dessert at home and enjoy its delicious taste and health benefits? So grab your grater and get ready to whip up a batch of this delicious and nutritious treat!
Track your Menstrual health using
Healthshots Period tracker