Every woman wants to have shiny, black and voluminous hair. But not everybody can raise their hands up if asked, “who’s got voluminous hair?” In fact, Harvard Health Publishing found that hair loss is quite a common problem, and is faced by approximately one-third of women. When women grow older, especially in the post-menopause phase, two-thirds suffer bald spots or hair thinning. If you are one of them, you must have tried different shampoos and hair treatments. Maybe it’s time to check your kitchen and look for rice water for hair growth.
To find out if rice water works for hair growth, Health Shots reached out to Dr Smita Naram, an Ayurvedic physician and pharmaceutical herbalist.
We know that rice is full of carbohydrates and that’s why women aiming for weight loss, cut it out from their diet. But carbohydrate can be good for your hair! Here are some of the reasons why using rice water is good for hair.
• It contains inositol, which is a carbohydrate. It can help to repair damaged hair and then stimulate hair growth, says Dr Naram.
• It also has a pH level that is close to the pH level of hair. This in turns prevents hair damage and breakage.
• Rice water contains vitamins B and E, which nourish the hair and improve its texture.
• It can soothe your scalp and reduce inflammation. It can help to reduce dandruff and improve hair elasticity.
The expert says that rice water can help in hair growth by providing inositol, amino acids, nutrients, minerals, antioxidants, and protection from free radicals and environmental stressors. It can also strengthen the hair roots and prevent breakage, leading to longer and healthier hair.
It’s easy to make rice water at home. Here’s what to do –
1. Wash one cup of rice thoroughly with water and then add two cups of water.
2. After 30 minutes, strain the rice and collect the water in a container.
3. To use rice water on hair, apply it and massage your scalp.
4. Leave it on your hair for 10 to 15 minutes, and then rinse with cool water.
You can always use rice water directly, but mixing it with other natural ingredients may enhance its benefits for hair growth, says Dr Naram.
Rice water with natural ingredients:
Eating is not the only way to enjoy the health benefits of amla. You can add amla to your rice water, as it is rich in vitamin C, which helps to nourish hair follicles, promote hair growth, and prevent hair loss.
They are known for their high concentration of protein, which can help to strengthen hair. Once your hair becomes stronger, hair breakage won’t be a problem anymore. It also promotes growth when combined with rice water.
Rosemary oil is believed to increase blood circulation in the scalp and also help stimulate hair growth. So, you can always use rosemary oil for hair growth.
Rice water is generally safe, but some people may be allergic to it, says the expert. If you experience any allergic reactions then you should stop using it immediately. Also, women with oily hair or scalp should avoid using rice water, as it can make their hair greasy and strip their hair of its natural oils.
It’s best not to go overboard with rice water. It can be used on the hair once or twice a week to promote hair growth, strengthen the hair, and prevent breakage. It can also be used as a leave-in conditioner and when combined with other natural ingredients, it can help promote healthy hair growth.
Track your Menstrual health using
Healthshots Period tracker