Listen to this article
Aren’t you bored of having the same egg omelet or scrambled eggs for breakfast every morning? Are you sticking to it because it is the only protein-rich breakfast you can think of? Here is some news for you, that is a major misconception!
There are plenty of other breakfast options which are healthy, easy to make and fulfill our protein requirement just like a breakfast with eggs would do. And paneer-besan chilla is one of them.
An Instagram page named rootedinspice, which is famous for sharing Indian recipes, recently shared a reel with the recipe of paneer-besan chilla. This recipe gives you 21g of protein through besan and 15g of protein through the paneer used. Isn’t that healthy enough!
– 1 cup besan (split chickpea gram flour)
– 1/2 cup water (start with half and then add a 1/4 cup or so more if you want them to be thinner)
– 1 tsp carom seeds (fennel seeds is great too)
– 1/4 tsp turmeric
– 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chili (or paprika)
– 1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder
– Salt to taste
– 1/2 shallot, finely diced
– 2-3 green chilies
– 1 small tomato, finely diced
– Handful of chopped cilantro
– Grated paneer (stuff it however much you want!)
– Pinch of salt, roasted cumin powder, kashmiri red chili, and sumac
1. Grate some paneer, season it, mix, and set aside.
2. Sift besan into a large bowl and add all your ingredients. Start by whisking half a cup of water and then add a bit more to make your chillas thinner.
3. In your pan (nonstick will be easier), heat up some oil on medium heat and once hot add a thin layer of the mixture.
4. Let it cook for a few minutes until golden brown and you see little holes on top. Flip and repeat on the other side! Cook low and slow! Make sure the heat isn’t too high so that you don’t get them too golden brown before they are even cooked through.
5. You can get creative and add some chili oil or whatever other toppings you like and then add your grated paneer, fold it in half, and serve with chutney or ketchup!
For the green (cilantro) chutney, just blend together: cilantro, half an onion, tomato, green chilies, lemon juice, 3 garlic cloves, and salt! You can throw in a little bit of mint also.
So, change your breakfast routine and give this paneer-besan chilla recipe a try!