Aren’t we always on the lookout for healthy breakfast options? If your answer is yes, you may also agree that poha – or flattened rice – is one of the most popular and wholesome desi breakfast. It is not just filling for your stomach but also tasty for the taste buds. Nutritionists have vouched for its qualities as an easy-to-digest, tasty and nutritious food for the diet.
Poha is loved for its versatility, but it is typically eaten as a dish tempered with spices and crunchy peanuts. People make Kanda poha, Vegetable poha, Curd poha and more. Let’s learn how to make poha in its classic way. It’s quick and filling!
2-3 cups poha
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp peanut, canola, or vegetable oil
1-2 green chilies, more if you prefer spicier food
1 onion (small dice)
1 cup potato, diced
3/4 tsp turmeric
4 curry leaves
A few peanuts (may substitute with cashews)
Poha should be rinsed with water and left to soak for three to four minutes. Poha is prepared when it can be softly crushed between your fingers. It doesn’t need to be soaked for a very long period. When you soak the poha for too long, it will be delicate when you cook it.
1. Leave the poha soaked for 1 to 2 minutes and strain it.
2. Warm a pan (Use non-stick pan or greased pan).
Heat 1.5 tablespoon of oil.
3. On low to medium flame, cook the peanuts in hot oil until they get crispy. Remove and set aside.
4. Add a teaspoon of mustard seeds and a few curry leaves to the same amount of oil and let them sputter.
5. After that, add the finely chopped onions, potato and cook them until they are transparent.
6. Stir in the ginger and green chilies, then cook them for a little period of time. You can also add curry leaves at this stage.
7. Add the soaked poha and stir carefully to prevent it from getting mushy.
8. Add salt, red chilli, turmeric and other spices according to your taste.
9. Cook it for 1-2 minutes with a cover on.
10. Turn off the flame and leave the poha covered for a minute or two.
11. Take off the lid and gently stir in the fried peanuts, 1 tablespoon chopped coriander, and 1/2 lemon.
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.PERSONALISE NOW
Your Poha is finally prepared for serving. You may top it with chopped raw onion, namkeen or freshly shredded coconut as a garnish.