Banana is easy to peel and eat, and also to apply. Well, banana is known for its moisturising properties. That’s why women with dry hair and skin swear by it. You will be happy to know that it can give you more than that. Banana is also good for hair growth. It’s got all the right nutrients that your hair loves. So, if you are having hair loss problems and tired of looking for the right hair care product, try this home remedy. Go for a banana hair mask or just use its pulp on your tresses, and see the difference.
Health Shots consulted Dr Vinay Kumar, Senior Consultant Dermatologist, Max Super Speciality Hospital, Dehradun to know about hair loss and how banana can help.
If you lose more strands of hair and see less growth, that’s hair loss. Dr Kumar says that all healthy adults lose up to hundred hair per day from scalp alone, and this is considered to be normal. That’s because it is balanced by growth in the normal course. Conditions such as pregnancy, abortion, lactation, menopause, hair styling and endocrine dysfunction can lead to hair loss in women.
The good news is that banana is considered to be one of the most promising natural ingredients that can help in controlling hair loss in women, says the expert. Banana is packed with potassium, silica, magnesium, antioxidants, vitamin C, fiber, natural oils as well as protein. Its peel also has nutrients, so you can get the health benefits of banana by its pulp and the peel.
Dr Kumar says that banana can be used as a dietary element as well as by applying the pulp or peel on the scalp. A banana peel is also good for skin care. Here are some banana hair masks you can try.
• A smooth paste of the pulp from two ripe bananas can be prepared in a mixer. Add curd, which helps the scalp to moisturise, to the mixer.
• It can be applied twice a week on the scalp. A 15-minute application is good enough to derive the advantages.
• Avocado, which is rich in vitamin E and biotin, can also be used with banana. Make a paste using the two ingredients and applied it on the scalp. • Leave it on for 15 to 30 minutes then wash it off scalp using a mild shampoo.
• Mix banana with honey, which helps to reduce scalp dryness and accelerates hair regrowth.
• Leave it on you head for 15 minutes then wash it off.
• Cut banana and papaya, which releases folic acid that nourishes hair roots, into small pieces then mash them.
• Add honey to it and blend until you have a fine paste.
• Apply it on your scalp and leave it on for at least 15 minutes before washing it off.
• Chop bananas into tiny pieces and take out the pulp of aloe vera, which is a good source of beta-carotene and vitamins, from the leaf. Add it into the blender along with the banana.
• Blend the two to form a smooth paste, but make sure not to have lumps.
• Apply it on your scalp and allow it to stay there for 15 to 30 minutes.
As for eating, excess of banana intake can cause tooth decay, says Dr Kumar. Eating a lot of bananas can also lead to drowsiness because of impact on neurotransmitters.
Track your Menstrual health using
Healthshots Period tracker