Listen to this article
If you suffer from severe pain in your anal area and it continues hours after you have a bowel movement, notice blood after pooping and have pain, tenderness, and intense itching, you may have hemorrhoids, also known as piles.
When you have hemorrhoids, veins inside your rectum get inflamed and swollen. This may also lead to rectal bleeding when going to the toilet. Though this condition is not serious, hemorrhoids are quite literally a real pain in the butt!
It is more common in adults than children. By and large, the exact cause of hemorrhoids still remains unknown. However, Shweta Mahadik, Clinical Dietitian, Fortis Hospital, Kalyan, Mumbai, explains, “Piles are caused due to lack of exercise, junk food, excess intake of tea or coffee and a sedentary lifestyle.”
To manage the condition, it’s recommended to monitor one’s diet which includes all the nutrients a person needs. And what can be better than adding some superfoods? Superfoods are nutrient-rich foods considered to be especially beneficial for health and well-being. Below are some superfoods suggested by Anushka Bhoj, Holistic Nutritionist and Founder of Nutrition by Anushka, for hemorrhoids.
Here are superfoods for hemorrhoids:
High in fibre, flaxseeds work as a great natural laxative. They can soften the stools and help with bowel movement in hemorrhoids. One can take 1 tbsp powdered flaxseeds every day. It is important to drink enough water when taking flaxseed.
Taking Triphala churna is an effective way to regularise motions and cure constipation, which is one of the main reasons for hemorrhoids. The churna also heals the infection and reduces pain in hemorrhoids.
The glycoproteins and polysaccharides in aloe vera give it anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It can be a great way to heal hemorrhoids. One can consume aloe vera juice and even apply it topically to reduce swelling and infection.
Adding good fats to our diet is a great way to heal hemorrhoids and avoid them in the future. Ghee is a great source of essential fatty acids. It lubricates the digestive tract, making it easy to pass stools.
Having soaked prunes or prune juice will give relief to constipation. It works as a laxative due to the sorbitol content in it. And also adds fibre which is essential for bowel health.
Along with these superfoods, follow these tips suggested by Shweta Mahadik.
1. Follow a high-fiber diet. Fiber helps to soften your stool. Include lots of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and beans.
2. Drink plenty of liquids regularly.
3. You can also consume yam. It is a good source of vitamins A and C, potassium, fibre, and minerals. It promotes digestion and treats constipation, piles, worm infestation, abdominal colic pain, etc.
4. Figs are loaded with fiber, calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, and vitamins A and B. As per Ayurveda, daily consumption of 2-3 soaked figs helps to relieve constipation by promoting bowel movement due to its rechana (laxative) properties.
5. Radish is a rich source of dietary fibre, helps in softening the stools by adding bulk to the stools. It also aids in digestion.
6. Don’t strain or sit too long in the bathroom as this makes hemorrhoids come out.
7. Avoid refined foods like bakery products as they may give you constipation and also avoid spicy foods and deep-fried foods.
8. Whenever you feel the urge to go to the bathroom, go.
9. Don’t hold your poop.
10. Try to maintain optimal weight.
1. Psyllium husk (Isabgul): 2 tsp with warm water at night
2. Aloe vera juice: 30ml in warm water on an empty stomach
3. Soaked methi seeds: 2 tsp on an empty stomach
4. Wheatgrass juice: 30 ml in warm water on an empty stomach
5. Basil seeds: 2 tsp per day in warm water
While some foods can help with hemorrhoids, certain foods can make your condition worse.
People suffering from hemorrhoids should stay away from spices as they can irritate them, making it even worse.
Foods made with refined flour are low in fibre, which can make hemorrhoids worse and bowel movements more painful.
Foods rich in salt increase bloating and water retention which puts more pressure on the blood vessels.
Cheese and other dairy products can create digestive issues, including constipation amongst many people. It can make hemorrhoids worse by increasing cramps and bloating.
Fried foods and also processed foods are another that’s going to make your hemorrhoids much worse over time. Switch to more home-cooked food because that will help you in your fight against hemorrhoids a whole lot.
If you are a coffee lover but dealing with hemorrhoids, you should halt your consumption. Coffee can cause dehydration which can make your poop harder to come out and that again makes you constipated and cramps.