Thyroid awareness month: 3 reasons why coriander is the best food to help your thyroid
Thyroid is a small endocrine gland found in the neck, just below the Adam’s apple. It influences or affects the growth and health of your heart, brain, liver, kidneys, vascular (blood vessel) systems, blood pressure, digestive tract, and metabolism by producing hormones. There are two distinct types of thyroids such as hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. Almost every disease has its own organic way of healing it, for the thyroid one of the many organic ways to benefit your health condition is coriander. It is not just known for its aroma, but coriander is a natural product that helps with digestion and reduces bloating.
Usually, patients with hyperthyroidism and hypo=thyroidism are advised to consume coriander seeds, as it has a lot of nutrients including antioxidants. Coriander seeds, leaves, and coriander water can do wonders for a person suffering from thyroid.
Benefits of coriander
Coriander is one of the best foods for the thyroid. It is high in vitamins A, C, and K. Its leaves contain more vitamin C than its seeds do. The leaves also contain a high amount of antioxidant properties that actually aid in protecting cells from damage by free radicals. Traditional medicine has also utilised coriander seeds for the thyroid gland.
Here are 3 major benefits of coriander that can help you deal with thyroid:
1. Antioxidant properties
Coriander makes for a great garnish, but it’s much more than that. Coriander seeds have been used for medicinal purposes for decades. However, the taste of the seeds might slightly differ in terms of freshness as these seeds contain antioxidant properties that help in protecting our bodies from diseases or disorders like the thyroid.
2. Managing cholesterol
The thyroid is often correlated to a lot of diseases and in some cases, new diseases start to develop due to the thyroid. The major cause of thyroid is an increase in the level of total cholesterol (TC). Now, with the help of coriander seeds, you can control your cholesterol, which in turn, will help keep thyroid hormones at bay.
Also read: Coriander is not just perfect for chutney, but also your digestion and immunity!
3. Weight loss
The coriander seed water can help in stimulating weight loss by leading an active and healthy lifestyle and clean eating. If you consume coriander leaves, it helps in effective weight loss to manage your thyroid levels. However, it is suggested that you should not just depend on coriander to treat issues related to the thyroid. Focus on improving your overall lifestyle.
Other health benefits of coriander
- Coriander water helps ease arthritic symptoms by lowering joint discomfort and swelling.
- Reduces hair loss and thickens your existing hair.
- There is an abundance of folate in coriander, as it protects cells against radical cell damage.
- Coriander seeds are often used to treat digestive issues. For instance, gas, bloating, cramps, diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea.
- Control blood sugar levels.
- Remove toxins from the body.
3 ways to consume coriander
1. Coriander tea
- First, boil 2 tablespoons of coriander seeds in a cup of water for 10- 15 minutes on a low flame.
- Let the water settle to a drinkable temperature and then strain it.
- Drink it empty stomach in the morning, you can also add honey.
- You can also soak the coriander seeds for a couple of minutes before you boil them if you want to extract maximum benefit.
Also read: STOP throwing coriander stems and make this lemon coriander soup instead!
2. Coriander water
- Wash and soak a quantity of 15-20 coriander leaves in water overnight.
- Drink it the next morning on an empty stomach.
- For a tangier taste, you can add a tablespoon of lemon juice
3. Crushed coriander leaf drink
- Wash coriander leaves very well and mix them in a blender.
- Then add half a cup of water, lemon juice, and honey for extra benefits.
- Drink this fresh juice on an empty stomach every morning.