Listen to this article
Muskmelon aka cantaloupe is a popular summer fruit which is loved by everyone. But as much as we love its taste, do you know it is also loaded with immense health benefits? In fact, it is an excellent source of vitamins C and A, as well as potassium. It also contains vitamins B1, B6, and K, folate, copper, magnesium, and dietary fibres-making the humble kharjuba really good for your health
Here are all the health benefits of muskmelon:
1. It keeps the body hydrated: Muskmelon is high in water content, which keeps your body hydrated in the hot summer season. It also cools the body and protects it against the heat. Ensures good supply of important vitamins and minerals.
2. It controls blood pressure: Muskmelons are rich in potassium, which helps in regulating the blood pressure.
3. Muskmelon strengthens your eyes: Since the fruit features high doses of vitamin A and beta-carotene, it can help improve your eyesight and reduce your risk of cataract.
4. They are weight-loss friendly: Muskmelons have negligible fat content and hence aid weight loss.
5. It can help control diabetes: Muskmelons help in controlling diabetes by regulating blood sugar levels.
6. Muskmelon can boost your immunity: Vitamin C strengthens the immune system and muskmelons have plenty of it. The vitamin stimulates the production of white blood cells to help fight infections.
7. It can relieve constipation: Muskmelon contains a significant amount of dietary fibre, which relieves constipation by adding bulk to your diet.
8. It can prevent kidney stones: An extract of muskmelon called oxykine has been proven to curing kidney disorders and stones. It also cleanses the kidneys owing to its high water content.
9. It’s a great fruit to have during pregnancy: The high folate content in muskmelon prevents water retention by removing excess sodium from the body.
10. Muskmelon can ease your menstrual cramps: Due to its anticoagulant properties, it dissolves clots and eases muscle cramps.
11. It can help you sleep better: Muskmelons relax the nerves and muscles to relieve insomnia.
12. It can reduce your risk of heart disease: The adenosine in muskmelons has blood-thinning properties, which automatically reduces the risk of heart ailments.
13. It acts as a stress reliever: Eating muskmelons increases the flow of oxygen to the brain thereby helping you relax and focus.
Now that you know the health benefits of muskmelon, let’s see when the best time to consume this fruit
Muskmelons can be best consumed as a mid-meal snack between lunch and breakfast. Since it offers hydration to the body, you can consume it post an intense workout as well to up your electrolytes.