Listen to this article
The sight of roadside vendors selling roasted moongfali or peanuts goes hand in hand with winter in India. This crunchy nut – a great snacking option – is filled with amazing health benefits and is a powerhouse of nutrients. But have you ever wondered why we are often advised not to consume water immediately after eating peanuts?
Does it have any truth to it or merely hearsay? Come, let’s find out.
Shweta Mahadik, Clinical Nutritionist, Fortis Hospital Kalyan, tells HealthShots that consuming water after having nuts or foods with too much oil content in them may lead to deposition of fat in the food pipe, resulting in irritation and coughing. Therefore, it is advised not to consume water after nuts.”
In addition, peanuts are warm and they may result in an increase in the heat present in our body. When we drink water over it, there is a disturbance in the equilibrium of temperature as water causes a cooling effect. Simultaneous cooling and heating in our body can cause cold, cough and many other respiratory problems. It is just like drinking cold water after coming after spending time in the heat.
So, that’s not a myth! It’s true that you shouldn’t drink water with or right after eating peanuts.
Moreover, Mahadik says, “If you’re suffering from nut allergy and consume nuts, the body releases chemicals like histamine that can cause symptoms such as wheezing and trouble breathing, after drinking water.” That’s why it is recommended to drink water after a minimum of 10 minutes.
Groundnuts have a tendency to trigger excessive rest as they are quite dry in nature. Since nuts like peanuts are naturally dry, they can make you feel thirsty. After consuming oily food or nuts, fats might accumulate in the esophagus which causes sore throat and cough, making you feel the urge to drink water. And by now you know that it is a practice you should avoid.
Come winter season and the crunchy and delicious peanuts become one of our favourite companions. And yes, peanuts are good for the winter season. Mahadik says:
1. Peanuts are rich in healthy fats and keep the stomach full, so you naturally reduce eating extra calories throughout the day, and do not crave empty calories.
2. A study conducted by Harvard researchers showed that twice as many people could stick to a weight loss diet and weight management plans that included peanuts and peanut butter.
3. When you eat a handful of peanuts each day, you are feeding your body a rich source of plant protein, fiber, and nutrients that contribute to keeping you satisfied, helping to keep calories in check.
4. Peanuts provide key nutrients that can help keep your metabolism at its best.
5. Peanuts help in preventing heart disease by lowering cholesterol levels; they are also known to stop small blood clots from forming and thus reduce your chances of stroke.
6. Also, peanuts are a low glycemic food which means it’s good for diabetics.
But remember ladies, if you want to reap all the benefits from it, then consume peanuts in moderation.