Listen to this article
You can’t deny that everything tastes better with a little dip! However, the truth is that most dips available in the market are full of preservatives which can have a negative effect on our health. In this situation, home-made hummus comes to the rescue!
When you think of hummus, you think of this rich, creamy and delicious dip which is full of flavours and texture. What’s more? It is loaded with essentials like protein, iron, folate, phosphorus and vitamin B—making it for a perfect healthy dip for your snacks.
This dip also contains tahini, which is made of sesame seeds and is loaded with copper, zinc, magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus.
Now that we have established the nutritional credentials of this dip, allow us to top it up by introducing another core ingredient to it which adds the right colours and zing to this nutritious delicacy—beetroot!
Beetroot is a wondrous ingredient with a rich nutritional profile. This vegetable contains a wide range of essential vitamins, antioxidants and minerals. Hence, its reputation for being a booster to cell health, metabolism, bone growth and the immunity system.
So, we bring you this beetroot hummus recipe to help you add a spoonful of wellness to your snacking time (be it chips, kebabs or pita bread):
Here are all the ingredients you will need:
2 cups of chickpeas, boiled
1 beetroot, peeled
4-5 garlic cloves
¼ cup of olive oil, plus extra for topping
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp curd
1 tsp cumin powder
2 tbsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
Let’s see how to prepare this perfectly delicious dip:
1. Oil and roast the beetroot on the stove or in an oven for 10 minutes. Let it cool and then chop it into smaller pieces.
2. In a pan, roast the sesame seeds till you can smell the aroma. Let it cool down and then grind it into a powder.
3. Using a food processor or blender, blend the chickpeas and garlic with a little bit of water until you achieve a smooth texture. Feel free to add more water if you find the mixture to be a little dry.
4. Add the chopped beetroot, sesame powder, curd, olive oil, cumin powder and salt to the blender. Blend it till you achieve a smooth texture.
5. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, and add the lemon juice to it. Mix it well. Check for flavour and seasoning.
6. Finish the dip off with a drizzling of olive oil and fresh coriander leaves as garnishing.