Meet CCF, an Ayurvedic kadha for weight loss that also works as a complete detoxUpdated on: 29 November 2021, 11:18 am IST
CCF… naam toh suna hi hoga! Nope! We promise you would be pleased to meet this one. Ladies say hello to CCF or the cumin-coriander-fennel kadha. Are you wondering why are we so enthusiastic about introducing this simple concoction? Well, that’s because as per Ayurveda and experts, drinking this kadha every day in a proportion of 1:1:1 is going to resolve most of your health woes, especially, gas, acid reflux, and weight gain.
What makes CCF so great? Come, let’s tell you
We got in touch with renowned dietician Priya Palan from Zen Multispeciality Hospital, and asked her to deconstruct the anatomy of CCF.
The charm of coriander:
Coriander, a herb that is commonly used in Indian dishes, is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that provides significant health benefits.
- Lowers the risk of heart diseasesIt can help lower “LDL (bad) cholesterol, thus reducing the risk of atherosclerosis. Studies suggest that it acts as a diuretic, which may lower blood pressure levels.
- Promotes digestion and gut healthIt can promote healthy digestion and reduce unpleasant digestive symptoms such as discomfort and bloating.
- Helps to lower blood sugar levelsIt promotes enzyme activity that helps to lower blood sugar levels.
- Fights inflammationIt is rich in antioxidant phenolic flavonoids that prevent cellular damage caused by free radicals and boost immunity. Coriander also provides an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Improves eye health and maintains good skinIs a good source of vitamin A, which is essential for healthy skin and vision.
The chronicles of cumin:
Cumin, commonly known as jeera, is an earthy and nutty flavored spice used in various dishes.
- Aids digestionIt consists of thymol that is known to stimulate the activity of digestive enzymes and bile acids, which in turn, aids digestion. It also helps to relieve gas and bloating. Cumin consists of fibre, which is a potent remedy for digestive issues.
- Boosts immune systemCumin contains a large number of plant compounds such as phenols, flavonoids, and alkaloids that are linked to reduce damage to your body from free radicals. This can help you to keep various diseases at bay.
- Reduces fatigue and improves hemoglobin levelsIt is a good source of iron and helps fight anemia. Iron also helps in improving brain function and improves memory, thus decreasing the risk of cognitive disorders like Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
- Improves bone healthCumin is beneficial for your bone health, as it is a good source of calcium and helps to increase bone density and delay osteoporosis.
- May promote weight loss“Research suggests that it has beneficial effects on your metabolism and promotes weight loss,” says Ms Palan.
- Skin health“Cumin has vitamins E and C that keeps the skin tight and moist, giving you a youthful appearance. Cumin helps to manage inflammation, as it has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It also prevents skin infection,” shares Ms Palan.
- Helps deal with hemorrhoids
It contains fibre, anti-fungal, and anti-microbial properties, and acts as a natural laxative, and relieves hemorrhoids.
- Helps to detoxCumin contains aldehyde, thymol, and phosphorus, which helps one to detoxify. It can flush out toxins from the body.
- Help treat cold, cough, and fluIts antiviral and antibacterial properties help to prevent infections of all kinds.
Fennel seeds, popularly known as saunf, are a rich source of nutrients and provide health benefits.
- Get rid of bad breath
Fennel is loaded with aromatic essential oil that possesses antibacterial properties and helps you to stay refreshed. Are you aware? Fennel seeds increase the secretion of saliva, which is responsible for killing harmful bacteria. Ta da, this will help you get rid of bad breath.
- Good for managing blood pressure
Fennel seeds contain potassium, which regulates the fluid amount in the bloodstream. It also helps in controlling the heart rate and blood pressure.
- Helps in lactation
“Anethole present in fennel seeds stimulates the galactagogues (means those substances that promote lactation) to increase milk secretion, and ensures proper lactation,” explains Ms Palan.
- Helps promote digestion
The fibre content in fennel helps to prevent constipation, and promotes the regularity of the digestive tract.
- Helps with gas issues
Fennel has antimicrobial properties and enhances digestive movement that helps to ease your bowels.
- Great for skin issues
It provides minerals such as selenium, calcium, and zinc that imparts a cooling and soothing effect on the skin, providing it a healthy glow.
- Get rid of bad breath
Phew! Is there something we have left out? Well, yes! Here’s how you should prepare it.
Ingredients to prepare CCF (1 cup)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp fennel
Step 1: If you have whole spices, take a mortar and pestle, and crush them roughly. (Tip: Try and go for whole spices).
Step 2: Take a pan and add two cups of water to it. Now, add the spices.
Step 3: Boil the water until it remains half.
Step 4: Strain the liquid and sip on it!
Trust us, after trying it out, you will ditch green tea and whatever kadha you’ve been consuming. Because CCF tastes absolutely delicious!
You can drink it every day, but we would advise that you sip on it once a day and preferably in the afternoon or night. Night time is the best though.
So ladies, let the CCF do the talking and you just take a chill pill.