Soup truly warms up the soul. You simply can’t deny the fact that whether it is a cold day or a gloomy one, a bowl of soup can prove to be extremely comforting. In fact, many will even recommend soup to ease the symptoms of a cold.
What’s even great about this humble dish is that it packs a punch of health to your day. It’s usually made by stewing some extremely nutritious ingredients to ensure that it’s more than a bowl of comfort and can make you healthier.
Knowing all of this, we’ve brought you a soup recipe that is extremely yummy and is super healthy as well. It’s low on calories and high on taste. The two starring ingredients of this recipe are oats and sprouts! Sounds strange? Well, give it a try to know just how amazingly the two can be combined for a scrumptious soup that is also healthy.
Not feeling convinced yet?
Well, to begin with, sprouts are loaded with vitamins and minerals that affect different systems in your body to ensure overall health. Sprouts also have a high content of phosphorus, manganese, folate, and vitamins C and K. You need these components to keep your body strong.
When it comes to oats, the high-soluble fibre content in this breakfast staple ensures that you feel satiated more quickly and avoid overeating. Moreover, oats are also known to improve digestion. The Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health also notes that: “Oats contain plant chemicals called phenolic compounds and phytoestrogens that act as antioxidants to reduce the damaging effects of chronic inflammation that is associated with various diseases like cardiovascular disease and diabetes.”
Feel like including these two ingredients in your life? Here’s the recipe for making oats and sprouts soup! You can thank us later.
Things you’ll need:
1 carrot, chopped
1 capsicum, chopped
1 tomato, puréed or grated
1/2 cup oats
1 cup moong dal sprouts
1 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Here’s how to make it:
1. In a pot, dry roast the carrot and capsicum along with moong dal sprouts. Make sure you do this on low heat. This will ensure that the ingredients are not overdone.
2. Add oats to the vegetables and roast lightly.
3. Once you’ve roasted the carrots, capsicum, sprouts and oats, add the tomato purée. At this point, add about a cup of water to the mixture and let it come to a boil.
4. Now simmer the mixture on medium heat until the vegetable and oats are not soft and done. Switch off the heat and let the mixture cool.
5. Transfer the soup mixture to a mixer-grinder jar and pulse until all the ingredients are well blended together.
6. Strain the mixture using a sieve into the pot. Add salt and pepper according to taste and let it come to a boil. You can add more water if you feel the soup is too thick.
There you have it! Your sprouts and oats soup is done. If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to show us some love in the comments section below.