Are you one of those people who believe that banana bread isn’t healthy? Of course, it isn’t if your idea of banana bread is purchasing it from the market. Anything that’s found on the shelves has an unreal amount of harmful fats, is probably full of preservatives, and in all probability, derives its sweetness out of refined sugar. But for all those who have a sweet tooth, avoiding this fruity loaf of bread is too much to ask for. And honestly, you really don’t need to give up on it.
What you need to do, instead, is bake your own banana bread to enjoy the healthy dessert. Baking it at home will ensure that you can have control over the ingredients and give it a healthy edge.
In fact, it is a fairly healthy dessert when eaten in moderation. This is all thanks to wonder food, banana, which lends it a natural sweetness, fruity essence, and above all, healthy nutrients.
What are the health benefits of banana?
This god-sent fruit is packed with essential nutrients and helps with digestion as well as weight management. The vitamin B6 present in bananas is easily absorbed by our body and helps it to produce red blood cells, metabolize carbohydrates, remove unwanted chemicals from our liver and kidneys, and maintain a healthy nervous system.
In fact, Harvard’s School of Public Health makes a note of the fact that bananas can contribute to heart health, thanks to the high potassium content.
Hence, bananas can come in handy when you are looking for a dose of nutrients to add to your comfort foods like bread.
Here is our recipe pick for banana bread which can provide you with a warm feeling, leave your taste buds wanting for more, and does not go heavy on calories as well!
What is the nutritional value that we’re looking at, you may ask?
This recipe bakes one loaf of ten slices. It is packed with 4.6 grams of protein and a dose of vitamin A, B6, B12, C, D, E & K, manganese, calcium, iron, zinc, folic acid, potassium, and phosphorous.
1/3 cup (75 gm) melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 ½ medium or 2 large bananas)
1/4 cup milk of your choice or water
1 teaspoon baking soda (NOT baking powder; they aren’t the same!)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more to swirl on top
220 gm wholewheat flour
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius) and grease the baking tray with some butter.
2. In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk. In case coconut oil solidifies on contact with cold ingredients, simply let the bowl rest in a warm place for a few minutes.
3. Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon, and whisk to blend. Take a big spoon and stir in the flour, just until combined.
4. Pour the batter into the greased baking tray and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
5. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
6. Let the bread cool in the baking tray for at least 10 minutes. Your bread is ready to be sliced and served.
There you go, ladies! Satiate that sweet tooth while maintaining your health.
Track your Menstrual health using
Healthshots Period tracker