This 100% vegan spaghetti and masala tofu balls recipe will give you all the feelsUpdated on: 22 April 2020, 10:14 am IST
What’s not to love about a hot bowl of spaghetti? Bursting with flavour—courtesy the tangy tomato sauce—it’s a comfort food for most of us. So, why not try a healthy spaghetti and meatballs twist at home? In fact here is a vegan spaghetti and masala tofu recipe that will give you all the restaurant feels.
What makes this recipe so great?
Completely vegan, this recipe packs a punch because it’s high on protein—thanks to tofu. Moreover, the tofu balls are not fried—rather, they are baked, which makes it a low-calorie meal.
Add to that the fibre from wholewheat spaghetti—and you’ve got yourself a guilt-free meal that is as tasty as its not-so-healthy restaurant versions.
So, let’s get started, shall we?
For the tofu balls
- 1 packet masala tofu
- 2-3 boiled potatoes, mashed
- 2 slices wholewheat bread
- Salt to taste
For the tomato sauce
- 1/2 kg tomato, chopped roughly
- Dried herbs to taste
- Chilli flakes to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 pack tomato puree
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- Fresh basil leaves
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pack wholewheat spaghetti
For the masala tofu balls:
- Soak the bread slices in water and squeeze as much water as possible out.
- Combine the masala tofu, mashed potatoes, bread, and salt together.
- Roll into medium sized balls.
- Place on parchment paper and bake for 5-7 minutes, or until brown on the edges.
For the tomato sauce:
- Add the olive oil to a large pot.
- Once hot, add garlic. Once the garlic is slightly cooked, add the tomatoes.
- Add salt and cover and keep checking till they are cooked through.
- Add the tomato puree, herbs, and chilli flakes.
- Cook on slow flame for 30-40 minutes, until you get a nice aroma and the sauce doesn’t taste undercooked.
- Turn off the heat and add fresh basil leaves.
For the spaghetti
Cook the spaghetti as per package instructions.
Carefully add the masala tofu balls to the tomato sauce and ladle over the spaghetti. Enjoy!
Will you give this recipe a try? Let us know in the comments below