Listen to this article
If you want to reap all the benefits of yoga, you must also make sure to consume a balanced diet and get adequate rest. But did you know what you eat before and after your yoga sesh is equally important? Well, that’s because food plays a crucial role in enhancing the benefits of yoga!
Having a diet rich in protein, carbohydrates, fats, and other nutrients is important, so that you get strength. So without further ado, let’s take a look at what you should eat before and after your yoga sessions to make it a productive workout.
1. Avocado: Also known as an alligator pear or butter fruit, avocados are incredibly nutritious. They contain potassium, magnesium, and vitamins, which make it a perfect choice to consume early in the morning before yoga. Besides, avocados are easy to digest, help to lower cholesterol levels, and are heart-friendly too!
2. Apples and bananas: It is better to eat fruits like apples and bananas, because they will give you a quick burst of energy, thereby working as an ideal pre-workout snack.
3. Green smoothies: If you need a quick dose of energy packed with nutrients, go for a green smoothie. They can provide you with adequate nutrition and hydrate your body at the same time. You may use green vegetables like spinach and kale, and can also add mint to it to make it more refreshing.
4. Protein-rich foods: Nothing better than starting your day with protein-rich foods like yogurt, oatmeal, and protein shakes. They help to improve proper muscle functioning and cells in your body.
5. Dry fruits and nuts: A handful of almonds and raisin are a more concentrated source of nutrients and tend to be higher in vitamins and minerals which offers you the energy you need before your yoga classes.
Note: keep in mind that food eaten before the yoga session should be at least 45 minutes prior to your workout.
1. Water: During the workout, your body loses out on fluids through sweating, which can lead to dehydration. Therefore, before eating anything after a yoga session, it is crucial to hydrate yourself first. To enhance your energy levels, you can add lemon drops to the water to get a shot of vitamin C.
2. Green tea: Green tea has a plethora of health benefits. Therefore, it is advised to drink it every morning. It contains L-theanine and caffeine, both of which are helpful in enhancing the body’s energy levels. What’s more, a cup of green tea can prove to be relaxing, as it slows down your heart rate!
3. Fruit salad: Consuming a fruit salad that contains bananas, berries, grapes, apples, and dates is a great way to give yourself a post-workout nutrition boost. This can help to provide protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats.
4. Eggs: You can have hard-boiled eggs to consume high-quality protein and nine essential amino acids, making it the perfect food to maintain, repair, and build muscles.
5. Vegetable soup: After an intense yoga session, indulge in a bowlful of vegetable soup that contains carrots, spinach, or cabbage. These soups are great to replace electrolytes, and help fulfil the calorie requirement and proteins after a workout.