Listen to this article
A strong immune system helps the body fight flu, disease-causing viruses, as well as bacteria. People with compromised immunity are more prone to falling sick and their symptoms for any disease are more severe as compared to others.
That’s why we need to make sure our immune system is extremely strong because that will enable us to live a healthy life. And given how covid-19 is wreaking havoc, it’s even more important to build our defences against it.
To stay fit and make our immune strong, we need to do things diligently: exercise regularly. and follow healthy food habits. Ayurveda, which is a traditional Indian system of medicine promotes several herbs, spices and roots that help boost the immune system naturally. They also offer a number of other health benefits, including improved digestion and mental health!
At a time when the world is reeling under the effects of COVID-19, you should include these Ayurvedic herbs in your daily diet to boost your immunity:
1. Turmeric: Ever wondered why elders in your house have been recommending you to drink turmeric milk when you are sick or wounded? As per Ayurveda, turmeric helps boost immunity and even has immense healing properties.
Turmeric is easily available and is known to add colour as well as flavour to food. It also protects the body against heart diseases and improves blood flow.
According to a study by researchers of the University of Texas, curcumin which is an orange-yellow component of turmeric, is a potent immunomodulatory agent for a number of cells in our body.
Curcumin also has beneficial effects for patients of arthritis, allergies, asthma, atherosclerosis, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and diabetes.
Not just this, the yellow coloured spice is also known for its anti-cancer properties.
2. Garlic: One of the most commonly available herbs in the kitchen, garlic is known to treat numerous health-related issues. It has antimicrobial, antibiotic, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Adding a clove of garlic in your daily diet can help boost your immune system tremendously. The herb is also known to reduce the risk of heart attack and improve mental health.
A research by University of Florida found out that garlic extract may enhance immune cell function and that this may be responsible, in part, for reduced severity of colds and flu.
3. Ginger: Another common herb that is known to add excellent flavour to food and is a favourite addition to tea for many, comes with some great health benefits as well.
Ginger decreases inflammation and the antimicrobial properties keep the immune system strong. The herb also soothes nausea and counters an upset stomach.
4. Ashwagandha: As per Ayurveda, ashwagandha which is a small woody plant, helps reduce inflammation and boost immunity.
As per a study by the National College of Natural Medicine in Poland, ashwagandha has immunologic effects on four types of immune cells in the human body.
It is also believed that ashwagandha helps the body manage stress efficiently and reduces levels of cortisol, a hormone that is being produced in response to stress.
5. Giloy: This Ayurvedic herb is known for purifying the blood and fighting disease-causing bacteria. The antioxidant properties of giloy help improve immunity and aid digestion.
It is clear that your immunity needs to be extremely strong if you want to live a healthy life and boosting it is as easy as including these 5 magical herbs to your diet. So trust Ayurveda for immunity and stay healthy.