Bay leaf tea is preferred by many people for its health benefits. Here’s why you should make it your choice of elixir too!
Bay leaf, also known as tej patta, is a herb that is commonly used in most Indian kitchens. These leaves are filled with aroma, and often used as a spicing agent to enhance traditional meals. We all know how they elevate the taste of biryani, dal makhani, curries, pulao, soups, etc. But did you know it is also filled with health benefits?
Bay leaves are a great source of antioxidants, vitamin A, C, iron, potassium, calcium, and magnesium, and that’s exactly why it works wonders for the gastrointestinal system. What’s more, it works as an antioxidant, antidiabetic, diuretic, and appetite stimulant. And if you’re looking to build your tea stash, you can’t miss out on bay leaf tea. In fact, it tastes far better than green tea.
Here’s why you should start drinking bay leaf tea:
- A January 2009 study published in the Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition revealed that bay leaves improve glucose and lipid profile with type 2 diabetes. Therefore, bay leaf tea is highly effective in treating type 2 diabetes and improves insulin sensitivity.
- Bay leaves are also known to improve digestion by stimulating the gastrointestinal tract, and promoting urination. It is also very effective to prevent constipation.
- Bay leaf tea is good for your heart, this is because of its powerful combination of potassium, antioxidants, and iron. These nutrients help with cardiac rhythm as well as lowering blood pressure.
- Because bay leaf tea is a source of vitamin C, it’s also great for the immune system and has antibacterial properties, which keep infection at bay.
- Bay leaves also include the goodness of cinnamon that boosts metabolism and helps in weight loss.
- The magical leaves can also lower your stress levels.
- Because of its medicinal properties, bay leaf tea is also used by some to treat cancer.
- Moreover, its anti-inflammatory properties protect your body from inflammation.
Also, Read: Here are 7 science-backed reasons why lemongrass tea must be a part of your diet
Here’s an easy recipe for bay leaf tea:
Ingredients you’ll need:
3 bay leaves
A pinch of cinnamon powder
2 cups of water
Lemon and honey (optional)
Step 1: Wash the leaves and in a saucepan, bring water to boil.
Step 2: Add bay leaves and cinnamon powder, and let it boil for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Turn off the heat and strain the tea in a cup. Now, add any desired sweetener (honey) or lemon juice, as per your taste.
That’s it! Now, sit back and sip on this refreshing tea every morning to give a healthy start to your day.