There is so much variation in the colourful world of citrus fruits! When it comes to citrus fruits, though, the first two that come to mind are lemon and orange. They’re packed with vibrant flavours, intense acidity, dramatic sourness, unforgettable freshness, and subtle sweetness. Most people drink lemonade and orange juice to enhance their immunity and maintain their energy levels. Have you ever wondered what makes a lemon different from an orange? Is one superior to the other? That is exactly what we will discover today.
Roopshree Jaiswal, Consultant – Dietitian/Nutritionist, Motherhood Hospitals, Mechanic Nagar, Indore, tells Health Shots the benefits and the difference between lemon and orange.
Orange juice is a popular and well-liked beverage all around the world. You just need to squeeze a few fresh oranges and you have a healthy drink ready. Oranges are extremely accessible and simple to produce. The sweet, citrus flavour of this fruit makes it the ideal summer drink.
Jaiswal says, “Orange juice has many benefits. It protects the cardiovascular system and helps you lose weight. It also has natural anti-inflammatory properties and provides nourishment during pregnancy. Its other benefits also include reduced wrinkles, improved vision, and healing properties.”
One of the simplest and quickest methods to refresh oneself is to drink lemon water. Lemons provide a variety of cosmetic and health advantages, including immune-boosting properties. Lemon juice promotes intestinal health and digestion.
“It maintains mineral balance in the body, reduces acid reflux, strengthens the immune system, prevents colds, aids weight loss, liver function, and digestion,” says Jaiswal. It also boosts the brain and the health of the heart.
If you’ve ever wondered about the difference between lemonade and orange juice, here’s what you need to know.
Jaiswal says, “Oranges have more calories and carbs. Lemons, on the other hand, have more fibre and fat. ”
Moreover, oranges are higher in vitamins A, E, B1, B2, B3, B5, and B9, along with, magnesium, copper, calcium, potassium, and zinc, than other fruits. Lemons have higher vitamin B6, iron, and phosphorus content.
When it comes to vitamin C content, it is abundant in both lemonade and orange juice, and it is one of the most significant nutrients you need for an energy boost. However, surprisingly, oranges have slightly more vitamin C content than lemons. Jaiswal says, “Orange juice provides more energy as it also has sugar content. If you need an instant energy boost, for example after running/jogging, you can consume orange juice.”
Well, yes citrus fruits are well known for their vitamin C content, but they have much more to offer than just that.
1. Citrus fruits have anti carcinogenic properties, a chemical that operates against cancer-causing processes, such as antioxidants.
2. Citrus flavonoids have anti-inflammatory properties that have been shown to help with physical pain relief and healing.
3. Citrus fruits also include essential vitamins and minerals that your body requires to function properly and promote immunity, such as vitamin B, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and copper.
4. Guess what? Citrus fruits are low in calories and high in water and fibre, which help to keep you full for longer periods of time if you’re on a weight loss plan.
5. Citrus fruits are also recognized for keeping your skin looking young and vibrant. Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, helps to regenerate collagen in your skin, which tightens your skin and eliminates fine lines and wrinkles.
6. Citrus fruits can help to reduce the risk of kidney stones by increasing the amount of citrate in your urine. This will aid in the passage of minerals accumulated in your kidney system, reducing the risk of kidney stones.
7. They can also help keep your heart pumping since they contain potassium and flavonoids, both of which aid in maintaining normal blood pressure.
Both have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. When utilized appropriately, both oranges and lemons may be beneficial, and the choice is based on context and personal preference. However, it is important to consume these drinks fresh and without adding too much sugar.
Track your Menstrual health using
Healthshots Period tracker