Why drinking water from a copper bottle every day may not always be healthy

Copper is seen as solution for the microbial purification of drinking water. That's why many people prefer drinking copper water. But don't do it in excess as drinking too much water from copper bottle can be harmful for you.
Pouring drinking water from a copper bottle
Excessive use of a copper bottle for drinking water may have side effects. Image courtesy: Adobe Stock
Natalia Ningthoujam Published: 12 Jul 2023, 12:45 pm IST
  • 178

Drinking water from copper water may seem like the new thing in the wellness world, but it’s a practice that has transcended generations. With its anti-bacterial properties, copper is said to act as a natural purifier for water and adds many health benefits to this basic necessity of life. Copper vessels and copper bottles have become common these days, but did you know drinking too much copper water can also be harmful for you?

Health Shots consulted Dr Veenu Gupta, Senior Consultant, Department of Internal Medicine, Amrita Hospital, Faridabad, to weigh in on the side effects of drinking excessive copper water.

copper water
Drink a lot of copper water may do more harm than good. Image courtesy: Adobe Stock

Too much copper water may be harmful

Dr Gupta says that copper water boosts haemoglobin count, regulates hypertension, fights infections, soothes joints, strengthens bones and maintains heart health. But drinking too much copper water can do more harm than good.

Here are some of the side effects of drinking water from a copper utensil.

1. Copper poisoning

Copper is an essential mineral that our body needs, but excessive copper water can result in copper poisoning. You might end up with nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and in extreme cases, it can even damage your liver, says the expert.

2. Digestive issues

Drinking water that is stored in copper bottles or containers for a long period can cause copper ions to leach into the water. This might cause digestive issues like gas, diarrhea or stomach cramps, if it does not suit you.

3. Metal reactions

There are chances of copper reacting with other metals or minerals in the water. It leads to the production of compounds that can be potentially hazardous. For example, copper can combine with iron to form free radicals. This may harm cells and contribute to oxidative stress.

4. Allergic reactions

Some people are allergic to copper. In such cases, drinking copper water can cause skin rashes or irritation.

Healthy Eating
Eat Healthy: Journey to a healthier you Are you ready to take control of your health? Whether you're looking to lose weight, improve your energy levels, or simply eat healthier, join us to start your journey to healthy living! Join Community
drinking water from copper bottle
Drinking from copper water bottle can lead to allergic reactions. Image courtesy: Shutterstock

5. Contamination risks

If copper bottles are not properly cleaned or maintained, it will allow bacteria or molds to accumulate. Drinking polluted water can lead to gastrointestinal illnesses, says Dr Gupta.

Drinking water from a copper bottle

There are some things to keep in mind while using copper bottles for drinking water. Here are some of them:

Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.

PERSONALISE NOW

• Go for a bottle that is made of pure copper. Then fill it with water and store it in a dry place overnight.
• Do not refrigerate the copper bottle.
• The best time to drink water from a copper bottle is on an empty stomach in the morning.
• Do not overdo it. Drinking water from a copper bottle twice a day (morning and evening) is sufficient to provide the necessary amount of copper to your body.
• Take breaks from drinking water that is stored in a copper bottle. You can take a month-long break after regularly copper water for two months. This will allow your body to flush out the extra copper.

Who should avoid copper water?

Unfortunately, not every person can have copper water. If your liver’s ability to remove excess copper from your body is less, it can lead to copper toxicity. People who are living with kidney and liver diseases should avoid drinking copper water, says the expert.

  • 178
About the Author

Natalia Ningthoujam has written on various subjects - from music to films and fashion to lifestyle - as a journalist in her career that started in 2010. After getting stories from the crime scene, police headquarters, and conducting interviews with celebrities, she is now writing on health and wellness which has become her focus area. ...Read More

Expert Community
Expert Insight
Expert answers to all your health & wellness queries Access exclusive live sessions from experts ASK NOW
Questions by Community Users on Healthy Eating
Widget
Dt Charu Verma08 Feb at 03:21pm

How to build up one’s immunity

0 Answers
Widget
Dt Charu Verma08 Feb at 02:59pm

House wives nutrition

0 Answers
Got a question? ASK NOW
Next Story