Along with weight loss, you can keep your heart and bones healthy with anjeerPosted on:17 October 2021, 08:00am IST
When you embark on a weight loss diet, you need to be very careful with what you are going to consume. Losing weight requires a lot of self-control and patience. Above all, a strong metabolism can contribute to shedding those extra kilos . Moreover, your metabolism can be enhanced by eating foods that keep your stomach full for a longer period of time. And these foods definitely include dried fruits.
But today, we have such a dry fruit that you have rarely heard about. Excited to know what we’re talking about? We can’t wait to tell you too. It’s anjeer or figs.
Anjeer is considered immensely beneficial, as it is a rich source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, and iron.
Why is anjeer good for weight loss?
Well, anjeer is loaded with goodness, especially if you’re looking to lose weight. Dr Aparna Govil Bhasker, Bariatric and Laparoscopic Surgeon, Saifee, Apollo Spectra, Namaha and Currae Hospitals, Mumbai, explains how anjeer helps with weight loss:
1. Anjeer helps to improve metabolism: It contains nutrients like copper, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, etc. which helps to increase metabolism.
2. Anjeer contains dietary fiber that keeps you full for a longer time, delays the subsequent meal timing, and in turn, helps to control the calorie intake.
3. Low-calorie food: In addition to its high fibre content, it is low on calories, which makes it a perfect choice for a weight loss diet.
4. Eases digestion: Ficin compound in figs works well along with other enzymes to digest food quickly. A healthy digestive system is essential for weight loss, and to melt all that belly fat.
Here are the health benefits of figs that you must make a note of:
1. Promotes digestion
Figs are rich in fibre, which helps to prevent constipation and serves as a prebiotic or food source for the healthy bacteria in the gut.
2. Good bone health
Figs are a good source of bone nutrients like calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, etc. which can make your bones stronger, says Dr Bhasker.
3. Maintains blood sugar levels
Figs are rich in potassium and help in regulating the blood sugar levels in the body. Hence, it can be a good sugar substitute for diabetics.
4. Lowers the risk of heart disease
“Figs being rich in fibre could lower the levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in the body that are often responsible for the occurrence of heart disease. The high antioxidant content in dried figs along with blood pressure-lowering properties allow one to get rid of free radicals from the body that cause blockage of coronary arteries in the future and keep coronary heart disease at bay,” says Dr. Bhasker.
How to consume anjeer for weight loss?
“You can eat it as a whole fruit or consume it in the dried form. Replace figs with sugar in puddings or sweets. You can take the help of an expert who will also help you with how to eat it, and in what quantity. Avoid going overboard,” suggests Dr Bhasker.
So ladies, eat anjeer and take your weight loss journey to another level.