Govt allows covid-19 patients with mild symptoms to recuperate at home

As covid-19 cases rise in the country, the Ministry of Health is now asking people with mild covid-19 symptoms to self-isolate at home.
covid-19 mild symptoms
After s/he is diagnosed, it's best to have an open conversation about how you feel. Image Courtesy: Shutterstock
PTI Published: 28 Apr 2020, 05:23 pm IST
  • 88

While we’re fighting covid-19, some of us might get diagnosed with mild or pre-symptomatic stage of the virus. Here is a list of quarantine guidelines for covid-19 patients with mild symptoms

People who have very mild symptoms of coronavirus or those pre-symptomatic can opt for home isolation if they have the requisite self-isolation facility at their residence so as to avoid contact with other family members, the Union Health Ministry said.

What are the guidelines for covid-19 patients with mild symptoms?
The patient should regularly inform his health status to the district surveillance officer for further follow up by the surveillance teams.

guidelines for mild covid-19 patients
If you have been coughing while you have fever and shortness of breath inform medical teams immediately. Image Courtesy: Shutterstock

Also, the caregiver and all close contacts of such cases should take hydroxychloroquine as a preventive medication according to the protocol and as prescribed by the treating medical officer.

All suspected (awaiting test results) and confirmed cases of covid-19 disease are currently being isolated and managed in a hospital setting with the intent to break the chain of transmission, the ministry said.

As per existing guidelines, during the containment phase, the patients should be clinically assigned as very mild/mild, moderate or severe and accordingly admitted to COVID Care Centre, Dedicated COVID Health Centre or Dedicated COVID Hospital respectively.

“However, very mild/pre-symptomatic patients having the requisite facility at his/her residence for self-isolation will have the option for home isolation,” the ministry stated.

As per the global evidence, 80% of covid-19 cases are mild cases while the remaining 20% may develop complications that would require hospitalisation. Out of the hospitalized cases of covid-19, only 5% may require ICU care.

According to experts, the primary treatment for covid-19 is supportive treatment in more than 80 % of the patients and oxygen therapy in around 15 % of patients along with other drugs.

Also, Read: Catching up with coronavirus: From incubation to symptoms, here is the latest on COVID-19

Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.


What are the prerequisites for home isolation?
According to the new guidelines issued by the health ministry, a caregiver should be available to provide care on a 24×7 basis.

A communication link between the caregiver and hospital is a prerequisite for the entire duration of home isolation.

Other than medical guidelines, what technical guidelines have been issued?
Besides, the guidelines call for downloading the Arogya Setu App on mobile and it should remain active at all times (through Bluetooth and Wi-Fi).

Immediate medical attention must be sought if serious signs or symptoms including difficulty in breathing, persistent pain or pressure in the chest, mental confusion, developing bluish discolorations of lips/face develop or if is advised by treating medical officer.

“Patients under home isolation will end home isolation if symptoms are clinically resolved and the surveillance medical officer certifies him to be free of infection after laboratory testing,” the ministry stated.

If you do end up getting diagnosed with mild level covid-19, fret not you shall recover soon. Do follow the official guidelines and doctor’s instructions to ensure the health safety of yourself and those around you.

  • 88

Healthshots Wellness Newsletter

Get your Daily Dose of Wellness in your Inbox

Subscribe Now
Next Story