Let’s face the truth—weight loss is not child’s play. It takes a lot of effort to get rid of all that stubborn fat. But how do you know if you are making use of the right strategies? Well, that’s exactly what we can learn from Bollywood yogini aka Malaika Arora, who is well-known for her high fitness levels. Her Instagram feed is a treasure trove of various yoga asanas that do not just promise a flat belly, but also offer agility and more stamina. So, let’s take a look at some of the asanas that can help you in a big way! Ready to find out? Let’s go!
Also called the boat pose, it helps to strengthen your abdominal and core muscles. What’s more, it is also a helpful asana to build self-confidence, willpower and self-control.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Sit on a mat with your legs stretched out in front of you, and your hands on your side.
2. Now, bend your knees and raise your legs. Straighten your legs and push your upper body away from your legs.
3. When your thighs and your upper body make a ‘V’, stretch out your arms, and hold the pose for at least 10 breaths.
4. Now, slowly move towards the starting position and relax.
This pose works well to not just strengthen your abdominal area, but also strengthens calves, back, and hip flexors.
Here’s how you can do it:
1. First, stand straight.
2. Join your palms to make the namaste gesture at your heart chakra, and raise your arms up.
3. Bend your knees and slowly lower your pelvis.
4. Keep your pelvis parallel to the floor, bending your knees at a 90-degree angle.
5. Align your ankles and knees in one straight line. Focus your gaze on your palms.
6. Ensure that your spine remains erect.
Also called eight-limb salutation or caterpillar pose, this asana is another way to say namaste but with a twist of yoga, says Malaika. The good news is everything from your chin to your toes are engaged, and that means your belly fat is also targeted.
Here’s how you can perform this pose:
1. Start at the tabletop position. Keep your knees together and wrist under your shoulders.
2. Exhale. Bend your elbows and drop your chest between your palms and chin on the floor.
3. Inhale. Lift your left leg off the floor as much as you can.
4. Bend your right knee and keep your right foot under your left knee, giving support to your left leg.
5. Hold for 10-15 seconds and repeat on the opposite side.
Known as viparita virabhadrasana, Malaika says that this pose allows for a “freer deeper breath as it opens the side body and chest, releasing all the tension in the muscles around the ribs.” Your abdominal muscles get worked out and how, so make sure you do not miss out on this pose.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Start by getting into the warrior II pose with your right foot forward.
2. Lean your upper body toward the mat and then put your right hand up towards the ceiling. Stretch it along with your right side.
3. Your left hand should come down such that it rests lightly on the backside of your left thigh.
4. Look up to the fingertips of your right hand.
5. Hold for 5 breaths and then repeat the same thing for the other side.
“Did somebody say planks aren’t fun? Here you go with my favourite Jahnavi Patwardhan,” Malaika captioned the post on Instagram.
So ladies, get set to achieve a toned belly with these five fantastic asanas!