Remember when as kids we used to play jump rope games just because it was so fun to be simply jumping around? Then why did we just stop doing it. Jump rope, is in fact, a perfect exercise that will help you lose weight while still enjoying the process. So, let’s take a look at some jump rope exercises and how they can benefit us to stay fitter and healthier.
Jump rope exercises are simple to do and are a great way for beginners to start their fitness journey. All you need for this is one rope and an open space, you don’t have to have a gym membership or very expensive equipment.
Here are 3 jump rope exercises—as suggested by health coach Digvijay Singh—that are perfect for beginners or anyone looking to shed some kilos.
Also read: Try these 5 super easy yet effective exercises for beginners to build muscle at home
This is the traditional or the most common way of using a jump rope. For this, you need to jump over the rope with both the feet, moving the rope in a forward motion. Soon, your rope will get momentum and you can keep on jumping for 15-30 minutes or for as long your body allows you to.
As the name suggests, for this exercise you need to jump in a criss-cross pattern. This can get a little tricky, so make sure you start off slow at first. You need to rotate the jump rope in forward direction by using your wrists and jump while crossing your feet one over the other. This will help you feel the strain in your quads or thigh muscles.
To perform this exercise, you need to start off normally the way you do in a forward jump. Once you have picked up momentum, instead of jumping up and down on one spot start shifting side to side while jumping at the same time. So, first you jump slightly right then slightly left. Make very small shifts, otherwise there is a high chance that you will fall. This will help you work on your hamstrings.
Also read about some other rope workouts: Fight your weight issues and watch your body transform with a battle rope workout
Now that we know some jump rope exercises, let’s take a look at what are the benefits of doing these exercises, as explained to us by Singh.
1. It is a full body workout and helps in activating each and every muscle of your body. Jump rope workout can also be done as a warm up routine before an intense workout.
2. Without a doubt, jump rope exercises help in weight loss. 20 -30 minutes of jumping is bound to burn some calories and tone your legs.
3. It helps to build your stamina and coordination. Jumping along with a rope requires balance and coordination between hands, eyes and legs.
4. Jump rope workout also helps in decreasing your resting heart rate. A lower heart rate at rest implies more efficient heart function and better cardiovascular fitness.
5. Jump rope exercises will improve your overall body balance and motor skills as well. So, it will be a good idea to encourage your kids to indulge in jump rope workouts too.
Track your Menstrual health using
Healthshots Period tracker